Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can A Network Card Reduce Download Speed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sqweek1

Sqweek1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:41 AM

Hello all

My computer specs are

AMD Sempron 1657Mhz
Asus A7V600-X motherboard
256 MB memory - (I know I need more:))

Win XP Pro SP2
VIA Rhine ii Fast Ethernet Adapter

I connect to the internet via a cable modem straight into my NIC. I contacted my ISP (a cable company in the UK) because I noticed (and double checked using various online speed checkers) that my promised connection speed was nowhere near being met. The present speed tests are coming back at between 1 to 2mbps. I am supposed to be on 10mbps

After over an hour on the phone, waiting and doing all sorts of stuff, I was told that the problem is with my network card, which is stopping me from getting the higher speed.

Has anyone heard of this as the case? Can your network card interfere with your internet connection speed?

Thanks all
:)x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

Are you sure you aren't on a 10 megaBIT connection, and not a 10 megaBYTE connection? 1 byte = 8 bits, that's why most manufacturers list internet speed in bits, it makes people think they are faster. If you had a 10 mbps (megabit per second) connection, and got returns at 10mBps (megabytes), then that would be about right.

Would also try updating drivers.

Posted Image

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

Could you reference where the cable company is promising 10mbps?
Assuming that's for the download speed, what's their advertised upload speed?

Honestly that sounds like a pretty fat-pipe connection, and not a cheap one.
Posted Image

#4 Sqweek1

Sqweek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hiya 0 and Arcman

Thanks for your responses.

I don't know if it's supposed to be bits or bytes but the speed is not as it should be.

It is supposed to be 10mb download (going to 20mb in June). Online speed checkers return results of between 2 and 4mb. :thumbsup: I don't know what the upload should be.

I was previously on 4mb quite happily. It's only since I upgraded to 10mb on Thursday (8/3/07) that I've noticed the problem.

I spoke to their engineers and they said it must be my NIC that's causing the problem at my end. They used an online speed checker too and the result came back slower than expected at 2mb. I'm wondering if a problem with my NIC is a reasonable explanation. Does anyone know please?

Oh and yes, driver updates was the first thing I checked, all ok there.

Ta :flowers:

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

There's the possibility that there's a problem with the NIC, but in 99.9% of the internet connectivity issues I see, the NIC isn't the problem. Did they change any hardware like your hookups or your modem for this service? If the problem only started when they switched you over, I'm more inclined to believe it's their issue and not yours.

There's the possibility that a worm or other infection could be taking up your bandwidth, so you might check for that sort of thing, but if you haven't changed anything and you keep good security practices it's not likely.

You can swap in another NIC to test their assertion, either way.
You can also rule out Windows problems by running a Knoppix disk or similar live CD and running the speed test from there.
Posted Image

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, it would be a good idea to get some sort of program to monitor connections to your computer (don't know of any off-hand), or try a netstat -a (start -> run -> cmd -> "netstat -a" without quotes) to find any unusual connections.

Posted Image

#7 Sqweek1

Sqweek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

Hi guys

Just a short post to say thanks for your help and suggestions. I'm still working on it, I'll let you know the outcome and solution when it's resolved.

Cheers!!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users