Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boy have I made a mess!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 glengenny

glengenny

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:02 PM

After getting a new computer we gave our daughter our other Dell to use for internet/gaming and some light word processing but the computer was soooo slow.
I decided to reformat the hard drive with the reinstallation disk provided by Dell.
It worked great! It was just like the day we purchased it a couple of years ago. All was fiine until the other day we received a message from Norton stating we had a Trojan virus which it could not repair. In one day the computer went back to it's old self ( slow, ,sudden shutdowns etc.) since my first reinstallation went so well I thought I'd try it again. Using the same disk and procedures I encouters some problems. After removing the old Windows XP and while installing the new files I received an error message that it could not load a specfic file (which I don't recall). After several atempts to try and load it I chose the option to skip it. I soon received the same message about another file. Again after several attempts to reload I chose to skip which shut the computer down. I restarted the computer but after the Dell log in logo I got an error messgae that "Windows could not start because the file <windows root>\systen32hal.dll. is misising please re-install a copy of the file". If I restart and hit F12 at the dell logo and then try to reboot from the CD I get a message of "strike F1 to try to reboot , F2 to setup utility".
the F1 gets me nowhere! I can get to the setup utilitys but I'm not sure what I need to do to. Any help would make a 10 y/o (along with her old man) very happy along with getting my wife off my back!
Thanks,
George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gud4u

gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

Mysterious files missing from the install may be an indication of problem areas on your HD. The first step I'd take in this instance is to test your HD for defects.

Go to the support section on the HD-maker's site, identify the testing utility for your specific HD model and download it. You'll find instructions for installing the utility on a floppy.

Boot from the floppy and run the diagnostic. The diagnostic will do sequential read/write tests over the total surface of the HD and attempt to repair it by excluding any bad sections from future use. If it finds a load of these errors, it's probably time to replace the HD.

Then try installing the OS again.

Hope this helps!

#3 meeeeeee

meeeeeee

just meeeeeee

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 10:12 PM

Or you could try wiping the disc with a soft cloth and trying again. Sounds simplistic but I spent hours bleepering with an installation that my hubby solved just by cleaning the disc for me. :thumbsup:
Knowledge is the most powerful weapon.

http://pcbizowner.com

If I have helped you please pass along the good deed to someone else. If you would like to donate then I thank you also.

#4 glengenny

glengenny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:50 PM

I ran the hard drive scanner from Western digital and it found no problems with my hard drive.
I downloaded the boot disks for windows XP from Microsft (I thought it can't read my CD ROM) and ran them and thought my problems were solved....but on the last (6th disk) I received the same message..."stop C 0000221 unknown hard error \Windows root\systemroot32\ntdll.dll"
Any suggestions?

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

I had problems with my pc and did the same. See you quite during the installation and it was not done. I think that it did not even load windows back on the hard drive. Its my best guess. I had a brand new restore disk that was used twice. When I went to do the laptop for the 3'rd time it gave me a error that a certain file was not found and it had to abort the process.

Try using that disk again and see what happenes. If you cant make it work pray over the PC and disk and if you believe it will work.

Trust me I know!

Also can you get into safe mode by hitting f8 during bootup until the safe mode screen comes up?

Thanks!

New Info just found

Look at this site here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;314474

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 09 January 2005 - 09:08 PM.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:02 AM

You started out with a slow (multiple issues) Dell with WindowsXP. Reformatted, started fresh. Successfully.
Got a message from Norton stating you had a Trojan virus which it could not repair.
You decided to reformat the hard drive with the reinstallation disk provided by Dell again.
While installing the new files you received an error message that it could not load a specfic file.
  • at this point you have a partial installation.
  • it occurred during the "loading files" sequence.
After several attempts to try and load it
  • Once reformatted, the disk is "empty".
  • You have no choice but to continue to try
  • you had (have) a good HD. You've checked.
  • disk condition (cleanliness) is a possibility. You've now taken that into consideration.
you chose the option to skip it.
You received the same message about another file.
Again after several attempts to reload you chose to skip
which shut the computer down.
You restarted the computer but got an error message:
"Windows could not start because the file <windows root>\system32hal.dll is missing"

Posted Image

about hal.dll missing
hal.dll missing 2
hal.dll missing 3

But you've tried a different approach and the result
is the same, although from a different angle, kinda.Posted Image
a similar problem discussed
microsoft KB 314474

SYMPTOMS
You may receive any one of the following Stop error messages:
STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error
Path\File_name
STOP: 0xC0000221 unknown hard error
C:\Winnt\System32\Ntdll.dll (or another specific file or driver)

CAUSE
This problem may occur if the file is corrupted.
The following files are checked for integrity when Microsoft Windows XP starts:
All driver files (except those that are loaded by the system loader to start. the computer)
All dynamic-link libraries (DLLs), including User, Graphics Device Interface (GDI), Shell, Kernel, Ntdll, Crtdll, and others.

This problem may occur if you install an inappropriate driver for your hardware.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain a new copy of the corrupted file or reinstall Windows XP.
If you continue to receive any one of the error messages above after you reinstall Windows XP,
a hardware problem or a network problem may exist.

MORE INFORMATION
This error message may be displayed in many different formats,
including an error message that is displayed on a blue screen or an error message that is displayed in a dialog box.
The type of format that the error message is displayed in depends on
how much of the operating system was loaded when the corrupted file was detected.

I took the liberty of editing the KB link.
I do not have a answer.
Just these clues.

Try again with a little more info?

Edited by phawgg, 10 January 2005 - 12:04 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 glengenny

glengenny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:26 AM

I tried to reinstall with no success. I can get to the safe mode but I get the same message.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:38 AM

You say you can get into safe mode. Can you not download the fix on another pc and use safe mode to reload the new dll file?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:14 AM

If you can get into Safe Mode try running System File Checker. Go here and scroll down to How to use scannow sfc...

This will replace any corrupt files.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 glengenny

glengenny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions...but it's still dead. It will not let me do anything in safe mode. Same old message "can't start because of missing file <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. I didn't see the file sytem scan as an option and the directions to use it has me going to start then run which I wish I could get that far.
Since I don't have a widows XP start up disk ( I have the Dell re-installtion disk) I didn't know if that makes a difference. Even if the boot disks I downloaded from Microsoft worked I didn't have the XP disk anyway.
In safe mode I didn't see the file system scan option.

:thumbsup:

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:23 PM

You don't have a Start button in Safe Mode?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

at this point you have a partial installation.

Same result as no OS on HD, essentially. Possibly complicated by some files being there.

I'm stumped if you have no OS install CD.

That doesn't mean there isn't an answer.
I can't type it, though.
I'm phawgg(y) on the details...

#13 KiNeL

KiNeL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

I've just helped someone else out of a similar predicament here:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboar...rum/124902.html

A bit long winded but we got there and it boiled down to a missing or corrupted C:\boot.ini file

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

A bit long winded but we got there

I bet many an old sailor was ever-so-happy to say the same. That should include Net Sailors!

Thank you, KiNel, I'm off to read your link. :thumbsup:

#15 glengenny

glengenny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll keep plugging away.
I don't have a start button in safe mode. Should I?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users