Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgradable?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

I have a dell latitude CS laptop with a 400mhz processor, 256 mb RAM with 1 extra RAM slot, a 10 gigabyte hard drive, I'm not sure on the graphics card and any other stuff that I forgot I'll have to go home and find out. Anyway I want to see how much I can upgrade it, but only to the point where I'm spending less then getting a new laptop. Also the battery is getting old and doesn't last to long so if anyone has a solution to that it would be helpful. I spent $85 bucks on this thing and I don't want to pay too much for a new battery.
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

Just get a new lappy. Laptops are very hard to upgrade since they are enclosed in the case with specific MOBOs and such. At most you will be able to do is upgrade the memory. I say get a new one (or at least newer then that). But in all reality, desktops will always be easier and better to have if you plan on upgrading.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hello,

It is possible to put windows xp on this type of laptop, it wont be the fastest thing around, but it will turn a head or two.

I would start by finding out as much about the laptops specs, download http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php look for what RAM it takes, ebay will probably give you a good deal. regarfing the battery, http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo.htm is a very interresting read.

It would be easier to buy a new laptop certainly, but wheres the fun in that. :thumbsup:

Let us know what specs the system has.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:44 PM

I agree I should just buy a new laptop, I just wanted the opinion of some other people with more experience then me. As to putting xp on the laptop I could put xp on but It would probably run slower than windows 2000 which I'm perfectly happy with. I have added a 128mb RAM disc or whatever you want to call it. I don't really know very much about hardware. I've though about putting linux on it, but I don't know very much about linux either so right now I'm just sticking with windows 2000. I'll try your link for batteries, I've been checking ebay for quite a while now their prices on my laptops kind of battery are insane. Maybe I could get a cheaper one that works for a wide variety of laptops?

#5 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

The Dell Latitude CS R 400XT uses PC-100 type memory and has 2 bank(s) of 1 socket(s) each for a total of 2 memory socket(s) . The Dell Latitude CS R 400XT comes standard with 64MB of RAM and supports up to 320MB of RAM .

All I can really upgrade is memory without replacing the motherboard.
This is so sad It's the fastest computer in my house.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

Looks like there will be no more upgrading with this laptop. All you could add is another 64mb ram stick, but really it would make no difference.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

yeah,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users