Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:33 PM
I do seem to have sorted the problem out (touch wood), but I still don't know what the problem was! But just in case it helps, here is what happened.
Firstly it is worth noting that going into the router and looking at the log is probably a red herring. Of course the only time we all go into the router settings is when there is a problem. Even when everything is going just tickety-boo, there are endless entries in my log saying 'intruder alert'. So it might be worth just ignoring that!
I found two ways of reconnecting to the net when it (inexplicably) went down.
1. Go into the router as admin. Go to advanced settings. Go to WAN. In the line where it says PPOA service name, I just delete what is there and put something else instead (anything- including Mickey Mouse once). Then save and restart and see if that does the trick. You can always go back and put what was there back again, if it doesn't work.
2. sometimes I just flick the switch on the back of the router and leave it a few minutes - turn all the machines off to and then re-start them all. That has worked on occasion.
3. I emailed Paradigm (max 'at' paradigm.com.tw). After a couple of weeks I got a reply. I think they are in Taiwan and the reply I got wasn't great English. However the email had a firmware attachment (V1.95.8m) which and friend ran for me (I didn't know what to do with it and was far too nervous to mess with it!) The whole router seems to be more stable and reliable since then and I'm a happy on line bunny.
I hope this is helpful, though I am really in the dark myself and can only say that these methods have worked for me ... to date!