Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asktbar Removal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yowie

yowie

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:10 AM

Hello to all. Although I am new to VISTA (I suppose most of us are) I came across an unusual folder. C:/Program Files/AskTBar. I would like to remove this if possible please. I am running AVG 7.5 which is updated, Ad-Aware Personal SE also up to date, and Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, also updated. Can somebody please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:52 AM

Hi yowie, welcome to BC. :huh:
It appears to be the Ask Jeeves toolbar.
To remove it, start with the instructions here. If it won't go, it may be because your browser is using it.
It installs itself as a browser add-on, which may have to be disabled first.
Let us know.

#3 yowie

yowie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:07 AM

Hi Hitman and thanks for the welcome.

I checked out that site but to no avail as I have no added toolbar in my browser. I am using the current version of Mozilla Firefox.

AskTBar has basically created it's own folder, that's all I can see anyway.

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

Just as a double check, open IE and take a look if you haven't already.
It may have installed there as it's not compatible with mozilla\netscape browsers and wouldn't show up in them.

#5 yowie

yowie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

I checked IE, but nothing. It just seems to have latched onto my HHD somehow

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:13 AM

Everything says it's malware.
Reboot in safe mode and delete the folder.
Wether it goes or not, normally I would suggest you run HJT and post a log in that forum.
However, I am under the impression that it won't be vista compatible until ver.2.0 (currently ver. 1.99).
That's something you can ask about there however. AVG Anti-spyware is supposed to detect it too but that's not vista compatible yet either, according to avg.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,197 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

It is possible to have the "Ask Plugin" (formerly Ask Jeeves) installed in Firefox.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstall_search_plugins
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

HijackThis! 1.99.1 will run on Vista. Right click the icon and run as 'Administer'

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 yowie

yowie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

ok, I just deleted the AskTBar folder after a cold boot and it seems to have disappeared, but just to be sure I ran HJT.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:55:45 AM, on 9/03/2007
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16386)

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Users\Sean\Documents\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nlaapi.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\napinsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgwlntf - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\avgwlntf.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Resident Shield Service (AvgCoreSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgrssvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\Windows\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\ehome\ehstart.dll,-101 (ehstart) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\qwave.dll,-1 (QWAVE) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\seclogon.dll,-7001 (seclogon) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

I don't believe it's there but if it is, or anything else for that matter, please let me know thanks

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

It's not showing. :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 yowie

yowie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Great. I thought as much. That answers my question. Thanks so very much for all your time and help, much appreciated.

#12 bonnventure65

bonnventure65

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

please tell me again how u remove that askTbar from IE7, i tried so many times bt it wont go away... im running vista, when i click uninstall it shows uninstall successfull done but wont go away next time i restart IE, please help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users