Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Is The Best?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:17 AM

Hello BC people,
I currently have this bugging my mind so i'd like to hear from your opinions:which is the best AV in my choices? Features:
-AVG Not sure,I only tried the free version..
-TrendMicro(Which i use) Autodetects viruses,not a good Spyware detector though
-Nod32 Heard of it,says its good but dunno the features
-BitDefender Havent tried but is nice
Lets say they are all in their Professional state(their in there most best where you buy the product to its fullest capabilities)
so far i have tried all AV's i can find like Norton,Avast,Mcafee and more...i found the best 4
So which is the best?

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:24 AM

out of the choices you have there, i say nod32 over bitdefender by a sliver. bitdefender has a higher rate of detection according to www.virus.gr, but nod32 uses less resources, scans quicker, and from what i hear, less false positives. i have found bitdefender guilty of false positives personally myself.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:26 AM

I would probably pick Kapersky over any of those that you have listed.

Of the ones that you have listed, Nod32 is my personal choice.

I would not even go near Norton or McAfee, they are too popular, and easy for the virus writer to avoid detection.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:49 AM

thanks for the info,Taking bit defender out of my list and adding kapersky which is now more better?
-AVG
-Nod32
-TrendMicro PC-cillin
-Kapersky
---------I cannot deny TrendMicro though since it does a good job on automatic virus detection (even if you click like a file thats like a trojan it automatically puts it at the quarantine)
---------Nod32-better like what ejames82 says i believe but does it automatically detect like TrendMicro does?
---------kapersky,well what are its features then?
---------AVG,being averagely good so far...

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:56 AM

There are as many anti virus programs as there are opinions. If you ask 20 members with 20 different configurations they are all happy. (more or less)
Basicly there are no really bad programs looking at the list you have put before us,

I use AVG free and it has kept me virus clean over the past years ( when it still was ewido)It is the combination with other programs which makes it work. I have AVG Free with Zone Alarm Fire Wall(Free) which works for me

#6 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:53 AM

Did you see the result of AV-Comparative's test ?
The report was published 28, Feb.

■ Summary
【ADVANCED+】
・G DATA Security - AntiVirusKit(AVK):99.45%
・AEC - TrustPort AV WS :99.36%
・AVIRA - Antivir PE Premium :98.85%
・F-Secure - F-Secure Anti-Virus :97.91%
・Kaspersky Labs - Kaspersky AV :97.89%
・MicroWorld - eScan Anti-Virus :97.89%

【ADVANCED】
・Symantec - Norton Anti-Virus :96.83%
・ESET - NOD32 Anti-Virus :96.71%
・GriSoft - AVG Anti-Malware :96.37%
・Softwin - BitDefender Prof.+ :96.11%
・Fortinet - FortiClient :93.99%
・Alwil Software - Avast! Professional :93.86%
・Norman ASA - NormanVirusControl :93.63%
・Frisk Software - F-Prot Anti-Virus :93.27%

【STANDARD】
・McAfee - McAfee VirusScan :91.63%
・Doctor Web - Dr.Web :89.27%

【No certification】
・Microsft - Microsoft OneCare :82.40%

Personally I like AVAST!. :thumbsup:

Edited by HIPPO1023, 08 March 2007 - 04:55 AM.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:25 PM

Hello,

I'm using nod32 and I would say out of the many AV products that I have tested,
norton, mcaffee,trend,bitdefender,sophos,avg,kaspersky,antivir,avast,panda,comodo,f secure and a few others, that nod32 is by far the best and is well worth the money. You asked for features of nod http://www.nod32iceland.com/site.asp?page=productInfo is a substantial list. It scans 320GB in an hour and a bit.

hope this helps you
Regards,

Alan.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:35 AM

Here is the list of what I use (see previous post)

ESet Nod 32 on one machine fast scans, great detections (Win2000)

Kapersky on another machine super fast scans, hourly updates, has removed everything that it detected WINXP PRO 64 Bit

F Protect mach 3 evaluating (wont coexist with any other antyspyware/adware programs) WinXPPRO 32 Bit

Avast home free (love the boot time feature) XPHOME Wife's laptop

I have four Alphas running Linux, Winnt, Winnt Server and OpenVMS (no av software loaded)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:04 AM

of your newly revised list, i would choose kaspersky, which is why i purchased a 3 year subscription with them. i have had 2 viruses and they were detected and removed immediately, and no noticeable damage was done.
i have noticed several different comparison websites, and kaspersky always does outstanding in the rate of detection. that is the most important factor to me.

#10 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

Norton AntiVirus 2007 also is supposed to be less of a resource hog then previous verions, also did pretty well with AV-comparatives
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#11 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

thanks for the info,Taking bit defender out of my list and adding kapersky which is now more better?
-AVG
-Nod32
-TrendMicro PC-cillin
-Kapersky
---------I cannot deny TrendMicro though since it does a good job on automatic virus detection (even if you click like a file thats like a trojan it automatically puts it at the quarantine)
---------Nod32-better like what ejames82 says i believe but does it automatically detect like TrendMicro does?
---------kapersky,well what are its features then?
---------AVG,being averagely good so far...

I have Trend Micro 2007 and do NOT recommend it. I have had previous TM 2005 and 2006 and loved it. The 2007 slows down your computer. It conflicts with Spybot . If you want to try it, try Trial version, in case you don't like it.

TM 2007 complaints of high CPU 50%-100%. When opening Task Manager, you will see "pcscnsrv.exe" is the culprit. This is new in 2007 version. Here are some reviews from Amazon users:

Amazon-TM 2007 Reviews

Google "Trend Micro 2007 slow" and you will see many complaints. Not everyone has a problem, but enough to maybe consider another product or stay with TM 2006. I'm going to uninstall 2007 and reinstall 2006. Had no problem with it at all.

Also here is a link to Trend Micro for a fix with conflict with Spybot. I tried it, did not help; even uninstalled Spybot and helped a little, but still slow loading pages.

Trend Micro 2007

Hope this helps.

Barb

Edited by bar5, 09 March 2007 - 11:32 PM.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:21 AM

I use Avast! Free.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to try out, one at a time, the various ones that you think are good and see which one works best with your system. I did that when choosing my firewall. There were three other good ones, one or two with interfaces I liked better than the one I have, but those conflicted somehow with my system and didn't work out.

No matter which AV you choose, it is always a good idea to do a once-a-month online AV scan for a second opinion.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:29 AM

Thanks for the tip bar5 i only use 2006 at least i know now why TrendMicro2007 is quite slow...
Ok now Im still left with the 4 AV's again(TrendMicro,AVG,Kapersky and Nod32),this was my issue for about 8 months ago..but i shall try to consider all of your opinions and suggestions T.Y. everyone! :thumbsup: if you still want to put more suggestions&stuff pls. do post! especially if there are new AV's coming out

#14 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:26 AM

The top three are considered to be:
NOD 32
F SECURE
KAPERSKY
You can try all free for 30 days
You might consider:STAGENOS It is the same as KAPERSKY but 30% cheaper
I use AVG FREE.It works well for me.
I have tried all but each time i come back to AVG
Hope this helps
Regards

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

I use NOD32. But if I were to use one of the free alternatives, then it would be Active Virus Shield which is Kaspersky based and IMO a more effective anti-virus than many others. Read "And The Best Antivirus Is…."
1. Kaspersky version 6.0.0.303 - 99.62%
2. Active Virus Shield by AOL version 6.0.0.299 - 99.62%

These types of comparative results will vary depending on who is doing the comparison testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is beging tested, etc.

You don't want to install the AOL security toolbar because it has adware functionality and has a tendency to freeze the browser.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users