Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Identify Startup Item

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beav

Beav

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:29 PM

When I go to run, type in msconfig and go to startup I now see a new entry. I think it may have something to do with MS error reporting, but I do not remember seeing it before. Can someone help me figure out what it is and if I need to be concerned. Should I just remove the check mark and forget about it. The entry is--dumprep 0 -k. I am using compaq presario , Windows XP SP2, Home Edition, IE6. Zone Alarm, AVG, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, AdAware, SuperAntispyware. All updates, etc. Thanks. Beav

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

You are right Beav,
I believe this is the program that, after a crash, will create a dump file and send it to Microsoft as part of Windows Error Reporting.(The prompt that comes up asking you if you want to send information to Micro$oft to help them debug the problem).
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Beav

Beav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

Thanks TMacK for the reply. I will just remove the check mark where it is listed in startup.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/d...p_0_k-1449.html

Filename: dumprep 0 -k

Description: Used in connection with memory dumps - you can disable these by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 08 March 2007 - 11:53 AM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users