Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video After Replacing Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nixgod

nixgod

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

hello all,

I have a dell 51 inspiron laptop. it has 2 128 meg ddr 2100 sticks in it. I bought 2 256 ddr 2700 to put in. if i put the new memory in no video appears. i put one stick of each in. if the 256 is in the first slot no video. if i put the 128 in the first with the 256 in the second it works fine. I looked on dells website and i am suppose to be able to use the 2700 ddr. any idea how i can use both.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:56 PM

if i put the 128 in the first with the 256 in the second it works fine.

It sounds like it's working then....

On some computers, after adding R.A.M. to it, you have to go into the B.I.O.S. and tell it that you've just installed the memory or it may not work.

Are you wanting the 256 in the 1st slot, and the 128 in the other?

After you install the memory and it works fine, did you verify that it added the extra memory?

#3 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

i want to take out the 128 stick and put in the other 256 stick, so i will have two sticks of 256 in. but when the 256 is in the fisrt slot i get no video. the computer is showing the added ram when it boots up.

i just checked the bios and i didn't see anything in there to change any settings for memory.

another update. i found i can have the 256 stick in slot one if the 128 is in slot 2. if i take the 128 out and just leave in the 256 i don't get any video on boot up.

Edited by nixgod, 07 March 2007 - 10:11 PM.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

Have you tried putting in both 256 sticks at the same time? Try that and see what happens.

#5 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

i tried putting one it by itself and i tried putting both in and no video. the only time the video comes up is if one a the 128 sticks is in

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

Maybe you have the wrong sticks. That problem you have can happen when there is an incompatibility issue with the RAM and the B.I.O.S.

I know you said you have the right RAM, and verified it from Dell's web site, but I would look at the info on the RAM again and make absolutely sure you have the correct RAM.

Post the link to the Dell page..... and.. post the link to your R.A.M.

#7 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

here aer the two links

http://www.techexcess.net/hynix-hymd232m64...top-memory.aspx

this is what dell sells

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=A0731225

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:32 PM

Here's what I would do:

Return the 2 sticks, and buy the one stick that is 512M. And with that 512M stick, you may still be able to add your 128M stick to it too, giving you a total of 640M RAM.

But that's what it seems to be....an incompatibility issue. to me. The stick is working, but when putting it in certain slots, or adding 2 of them causes problems, make me believe that's the case with your computer.

If it's no problem for you,, send them back and just get the 512M. Personally, that would have been my choice from the beginning.

But ask around, maybe someone else can be more detailed of your situation than I.

#9 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:49 PM

i wanted to thank you for all you help. i was rereading the post and something clicked. i bought the computer used and never cheked to see if the bios was updated. updated and everything works fine.

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:22 AM

Yeah.. I should have thought of the B.I.O.S. upgrade too.. but still, I'd swap those two sticks for a single 512M and and still have an extra slot for the other one.

Glad to know it's working well and you figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users