Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Home Edition Won't Load

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:17 PM

My wife's friend said that here nephew screwed up here computer, and now Windows won't load. I have the computer right now, and the error I get when I power up is:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I've tried the F8 method during boot up, but nothing works to load the Windows. She also told my wife & I that she had Windows 98, but during the boot process and trying to load the last known configuration, it only displays Windows XP Home Edition. So I'll assume she has what it displays.

I have a few versions of Windows, but none of them are an XP Home. I have:
3 XP Pro's
1 Corp
2 95's
2 98's
would any of those discs, work? or

Would this work:
I download or find the file needed, then attach attach it as a slave to my computer, copy the hal.dll file to the directory, then hook hers back up and try to load Windows? hmmmmm? (thinking out loud)

I'm open for suggestions.....

Oh... and in case you're wondering, she sent her 17 year old newphew back to Atlanta, GA a few days ago :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for all your help!.

[Update Info]
I tried this command in the Recovery section with one of my XP Pro cd's in the drive.:
expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

but I get an Access Denied message. Is that because she has a password on her computer?

Edited by Walkman, 07 March 2007 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:38 PM

Hi Walkman, have a look at this link about half way down the page.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
MCP
MSDST

#3 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:23 PM

Thanks.. I've been on that page for quite some time now, and i've used the method used in the

REINSTALLING WINDOWS IS NOT AN OPTION section... which is my case, since she has no disc.

Here is the problem I'm facing though...

no#1. The computer I hooked it up to as a slave, doesn't have a C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. It's a XP Pro SP2, unlimited license from Dell.

no#2. One of my other computers have the above folders, but nothing is in them, from the 2 levels down. I have about 4 more computers I can find out if they have those folders or not.

no#3. Her computer doesn't have the above folders either, which according to that web site, it's possible there are no SP at all on her computer.. I'm just guessing on that one.

Also, I have not ever used WinNT, and I'm curious because her root folder is WINNT

Oh, and I rechecked her computer, and it doesn't use a password either.

[Update Info]
It appears that the \WINNT\ folder belongs to Windows 2000. Can someone verify it for me?

Edited by Walkman, 07 March 2007 - 11:46 PM.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

I wonder if her nephew downloaded and installed WinXP from a torrent. I would try to borrow a WinXP Home OEM CD to repair the install.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for all the help!

Problem solved. Installed a new os.