Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everyone That Can, Help Me With This...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

ok, i can probably afford a computer under $600 but really no more... I want to play games like Battle Field 2. What would i be looking for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

hmm....I would say a barebones kit would be cheap....I dont know what kind of graphics you expect but....Go to Newegg or to TigerDirect. Take a look at their barebones and work from there. Usually a good barebone kit (Case, MOBO, CPU) costs anywhere between 100-200 bucks. Then you need a Hard Drive, Memory, cd drive, floppy (usually included in some barebones) and a monitor (if you dont have one). I built a semi-crappy one for my friend TJ for 450 bucks, but it was a semibig jump from his old pentium 2 lol.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

and that could play a game like Battle Field 2?

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:05 AM

Does this 600$ need to include speakers, monitor, mouse, keyboard and other peripherals. Then it is going to be tight.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

also, what kind of performance are you looking for graphics wise? a decent card that will provide enough fps to play a game like that will probably run you about $150-$200. then you have to avoid a bottleneck at the processor, as well as RAM. what OS are you looking to run? do you already have one on hand? you will need at least 1gig of RAM.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#6 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

I have a monitor that works fine and i have an Windows XP box with a CD. I have speakers and i could keep my mouse and keyboard. I have a printer so all that stuff i dont need to buy. If i get a new computer its possible to get one w/o a operating system already on it? I tell you this tho... i dont want vista and if i get a computer with it i would delete it and install my Windows XP professional. I appriciate everyone helping me here!

the requirements for the game are:

Windows XP (32-bit) with Admin rights
1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
512 MB of RAM or more
8x or faster CD/DVD drive
2.3 GB free hard drive space or more
Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible (see video)
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible (Sound Blaster X-Fi series recommended )
Video card must have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets:
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

of course you would want a little bit over each thing so you have room for good performace.
If a PC like this would run above $600 then if you cant find anything under, tell me the cheapest please.

i dont want to ask any store person because they will want to have you buy something expensive... so i come here! thanks!

Edited by tiverty, 08 March 2007 - 10:45 AM.

#7 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

here is a link from another thread to a barebones pc maker. some of these systems will be in your budget, and provide you with the kind of power you are looking for IMO. on this site you can choose to have the pc built w/o an OS. do some shopping on newegg and tigerdirect as well. i know you are budget tight, but i would definitely suggest getting some dual core processor, as they seem to be the way of the future.

bg04

Edited by blueandgold04, 08 March 2007 - 01:27 PM.

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#8 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

lol i dont understand what a barebones computer is.... sorry...

#9 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

barebones :thumbsup:

However, you should be able to augment your barebones computer with many different upgrades.

Edited by blueandgold04, 09 March 2007 - 01:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users