Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts Randomly

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hi all,

I am having trouble with my computer restarting spontaneously during gameplay. I built the computer myself, it was my first build so I am worried that i did something wrong. The system spec is as follows:

MOBO: ASROCK Dual 775 VSTA
RAM: 2gb corsair 667mhz
CPU: 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo
GFX Card: ATI Radeon x1800 512mb DDR3
PSU: Thermaltake 700W with 18 amp rails.
HD: 250gig maxtor something.

I was told initally on this forum that teh failure was due to an insufficient power supply when the graphics card was under load. The old power supply was only 400w with 14amp rails and i was told i would need something more beefy. I have now done this and the problem still remains.

Does anyone have any ideas ifthere is anything other than power supply that could be causing this?

Any help would be greatly apprecated, as ever

Many thanks
Hooky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

PSHHH! With a powersupply like that! Hell no. Im running an ATI Radeon x1950 with a crappy 550 Watt MAD Dog PSU. I would say check your event viewer (Start>Control Panel> Administrative tools>Event Viewer) and look under the System area for any "Bug checks" or "System error". Post the EVENT ID and the SOURCE if you find anything serious. I also noticed you are running Corsair memory. I am using the Corsair XMS mem and had some problems with my build 4 years ago, and it restarted randomly during gameplay. Ended up being the memory timings inside the bios. Go to www.corsair.com and double check the Latency Timings for your ram model number. Go to your bios and search for the memory timings and manually enter them in. Try those and get back to me.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:46 PM

hi, thanks for your speedy reply. I have already altered the RAM frequency in the bios, i kept getting blue screens of death during the windows install and, well, all the time untill i set the freq in the bios. This stabilised the system perfect, except during gameplay it now seems.

There are a heck of a lot of yellow warning triangles and also a lot of red cross error things in the even viewer, too many to list individually. By "event ID" do you mean the 4 digit number in the even column? Can you narrow it down a bit for me, what sources or event numbers should i be looking out for which many have been the cause of the restarts?

thanks again for your help

#4 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

ok, iv looked at the event log in a bit more detail. It seems there are 3 main sources of error, one is some service crashing which seems harmless, the other is something to do with network browser which happens every time another computer connects to the network and is also harmless.

The 3rd one is a bit more interesting. The sources of these are system errors and i think they co-incide with the times wen the comptuer restarts. The event is 1003, and the category is (102). I right clicked on this and clicked properties to be given this information:

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 013108fa, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 ba864404.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I went to the above website and this confirmed that one of the symptoms are the comptuer auto restarting. Also, it said there is a message on restarting saying "the system has recovered from a serious error blah blah send error report blah blah" This does indeed happen sometimes, although not all the time.

According to microsoft knowledge base this is the cause:
"This problem occurs because the driver for the USB Universal Reader from Lexar Media, Inc is not compatible with Windows XP."

And this is the resolution:
"To resolve this problem, obtain and install the latest driver from Lexar Media, Inc."

The problem is that iv never heard of lexar media, and i dont have any USB universal readers made by them!!!

Any ideas what else could cause this error?
Sorry for such a long post.
Cheers ofr all help!

Edited by Hooky1742, 08 March 2007 - 02:35 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

Do you have a digital camera with a smartcard in it?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

my digital camera has a compact flash card. I dont use a card reader to get pics off it, i just use a wire which plugs into the side of the camera and transfers the pics via usb. Also, i tend to use the camera on my laptop and not on the desktop which is encountering this problem.

Anyone got any more suggestions?

Edited by Hooky1742, 09 March 2007 - 12:34 PM.

#7 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:34 AM

Error code 000000d1 = "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". A faulty device driver would typically be the cause of that. See also the comments for event id 1003.

See also

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=100...tem&phase=1

Gavin Seabrook

#8 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

thanks for that link, its got some extra info on the problem on it. However, the rest of the techno speak is beyond me, even though my understanding of computers is fairly advanced. Im afraid i still havnt been able to glean any solutions to this irritating problem.

Also, a new development today. After a random crash, the screen went completely green. This was worse than a blue screen of death, more of a green screen of complete and utter absolute death. Im really gettin a bit worried about this now! Restarting fixed the green screen, but i still think something needs to be done!

#9 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

I would say make sure all of your drivers are up to date. If this does not solve your problem, I would begin backing up all your important data for the Just in Case of reformat. It is a last ditch effort, but it will clear your system of any software related problems. Hardware issues will usually give you a different type of Stop code, so I believe that it is most likely a software issue.

Gavin Seabrook

#10 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:02 AM

i updated all my drivers, so i will see if this helps. I used to run xp64 bit on this computer and it still had the problem. When i got fed up with various things not running on xp64 i reformatted and changed to the normal 32bit version. So, it has already gone through a reformat which hasnt solved the issue.

Still, hopefully the drivers will fix it.

Thanks very much for your help

#11 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

hi again. when i re-installed the drivers for the gfx card, it said something about needing .net framework version 2. So, i downloaded and installed this and tried the drivers again. This time they installed fine, but i now get 2 other error messages on startup. One of them says "MOM.implementation failed..." and the other says "CLI.implementation failed..." Does anyone know what these mean and how i fix them?

Worse still, the computer still restarts randomly every so often (to date it has done it twice). So, im beginning to think its not driver related. Is anyone still out there, I know its been a while since i last posted!! If so, can you please get back to me with any other ideas.

Many thanks,

Hooky

#12 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

Well CLI is coming from your graphics card (ATI based). Do a full uninstall of your video card software and drivers (can all be done through add/remove programs using ATI uninstall utility.). Then after your restart, reinstall the latest drivers. Also consider driver updates for any audio, modems, NICS, and BIOS updates for your motherboard. If you do a BIOS upgrade though, be sure to backup your old BIOS just in case.

Gavin Seabrook

#13 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

What sort of cooling do you have for your computer? How many fans? Intake/Outtake?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#14 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

Hi again. OK, firstly the cooling. I have a massive cpu cooling fan with copper pipes and all the bells and whistles, looks kinda like a car radiator! There is a big fan on the case which sucks hot air air out. The graphics card takes out another whole pci expansion slot to use as its cooling out-vent. Also, the PSU has its own cooling fan as well. All in all there are 4 pretty hefty fans in there.

I will try re-installing the GFX drivers from scratch. Audio drivers i tried re-installing a few days ago. What are NICS? I have a slight problem with flashing the bios, because it requires that i make a bootable floppy disk. I do not have a floppy drive in this machine, as i didnt include one when i built it because i assumed they were now redundant at the time!

Do you have any idea what is causing the MOM.implementation error?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Hooky1742, 22 March 2007 - 02:25 PM.

#15 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

I believe MOM is Microsoft Object Manager. A NIC is your networking card (Network Interface Card). And you should always have a floppy drive, just in case of needing a boot disk lol. Floppy drives are still used a whole lot in the technician community.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users