Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will A Microsd Card Work With My Emachine?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

I'm looking to buy a bigger memory card for my phone, so i can store more pictures and transfer them easily from my phone to a computer via a card reader. My phone only accepts a microSD card, and my computer has the following specs:

Technical Features

Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 7 • RJ45 Lan Port x 1 • PS/2 Mouse x 1 • PS/2 Keyboard x 1 • Parallel Port (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1 • FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 1 • RJ11 Phone Jack x 1 (Input)

Expansion Bays 2 x 5.25" (External Access) • 1 x 3.5" (Internal Access) • 2 x 3.5" (External Access)

Expansion Slots PCI Express x16 x 1 • PCI x 3

Memory Card Slots Memory Stick • SmartMedia • Memory Stick PRO • Micro Drive Memory Stick • MultiMediaCard • SD Memory Card • CompactFlash Card type I

I got this from http://www.epinions.com/E_Machines_eMachin...1_Fl_PC_Desktop

It doesn't say specifically "microSD" as a supported format, but it does say Micro Drive memory stick...... i'm new to all this compact memory, and i'm confused as to whether or not a microSD card will work in my pc, or will i have to think of another transfer option?

Thanx in advance for any replies.

EDIT : I did a little more research and found out that there are such things as "microSD adapters" that you can plug a microSD card into and use it as a standard size SD card...... Do these usually come WITH the microSD card, or must they be purchased separately?

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 07 March 2007 - 02:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

That adapter can be purchased seperatly (unless you get it in a specail package or something). As for it fitting in your comptuer, well.....can't be 100% sure :thumbsup: If I had to guess, I'd say yes. What you should do is buy the card and the adapter. If you don't need the adapter, you can return it for a full refund. However, it's not a bad idea to have that adapter so if you're on vacation or at a family or friends house, you can download the photos take that day (or any day) onto any computer with a usb port :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

However, it's not a bad idea to have that adapter so if you're on vacation or at a family or friends house, you can download the photos take that day (or any day) onto any computer with a usb port :thumbsup:

Oh, we're talking about 2 different types of adapters. I've seen some of those that are like "30 in 1" media readers that you can plug into the USB port, but that wasn't the one i was talking about. Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about a card about the same size as a standard SD card that you plug the microSD INTO, then put the adapter into the SD slot in the computer/printer/whatever. So basically, it just makes the microSD the same size as a standard SD so that it can be used in SD readers.

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

i bought a micro-sd card for my wife's phone. the docking card came with the micro-sd card and it interfaces fine with my multi-card reader. :thumbsup: i really don't think you should have a problem. i think the brand was Kingston, that came all packaged together. hope this helps.

salud
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

Thanx blue. I was also looking at a kingston (specifically, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...12KR+%2D+Retail ). For some reason, it's not letting me link directly to the product page, but that's the image of what it's advertising. It's only $5.49 :thumbsup: It comes with an adapter which i hope will work with my reader(s).

Thanx for the help steve and blue.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 07 March 2007 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users