Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell X30 Pocket Pc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

Is a Dell X30 Pocket PC hardware? I was just trying to put my question in the right forum. Right now, it's connected to my PC via USB power / data cable.

Anway .... I got a reconditioned X30 from a friend. Ordered a new battery and am now trying to run it for the first time. It wants to set up, and I got through the part where (without telling me specifically) it was looking for Microsft ActiveSync. That's installed, and from the PC side (I didn't say Pocket), Microsft ActiveSync believes it has connected to the device and synchronized with my Favorites. (I assume it meant with the Pocket PC, but then I also have a Nokia smart phone connected via wireless router.)

The Pocket PC is stuck on its set up page. I tap it and it does nothing. I push the home button, and it does nothing. Could this possibly be a problem that could be solved with a trick or tip? Or is this reconditioned Pocket PC caput?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

You should be able to do a "Hard Reset" which will take it back to the default factory settings that it came with. To do this, find the reset button. Once you push that reset button, hold the power key down and release the reset key. It should ask you if you want to do a hard reset and say yes. Another method is to remove the battery, open the ROM casing and take out the rom chip, then place it back in and place you battery back in.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:10 PM

Thanks. I'll give that a try after it's fully charged and I disconnect it from the power / data cable. I have pushed the reset button on the back a couple of times, but haven't done it in combination with holding the power key down.

#4 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

OK. I've done that and I'm sure that it completed the hard reset. But that hasn't changed things. In fact, I think it had already cleaned up and been reset as part of the reconditioning.

Right now it just says Windows Mobile ... Tap the screen to set up your Pocket PC.

A simple reset (just pushing the reset button) sometimes toggles it back and forth to the screen alignment program. None of the buttons or the screen is giving me a response.

#5 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

Could be a possible issue with the touchscreen. Does it allow you to perform the calibration with no problems? Check to see if dell has a ROM update for it. Should be able to just d/l it.

Gavin Seabrook

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

Could be a possible issue with the touchscreen. Does it allow you to perform the calibration with no problems? Check to see if dell has a ROM update for it. Should be able to just d/l it.

Gavin Seabrook

#7 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

I've reinstalled the ROM and installed self diagnostics and something else. I found another guy who has a very similar problem and I've been posting updates at http://www.aximusers.com/forum/showthread....ted=1#post27788

Still doesn't work.

#8 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

IT'S ALIVE! ---- with a touchscreen problem.

I've gotten to the point that this is pretty much confirmed as a hardware problem. I removed the welcome shortcut (to welcome.exe) and the unit came alive through its buttons. welcome.exe is the program that handles set-up and align. Those are functions that use the touch screen for input. Touchscreen is still unresponsive.

#9 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

IT'S FIXED !!!!!!

After eliminating all possibility of a software problem I opened it up. I immediately noticed a connector on the end of a wire touching another metal part. I carefully rotated the wire so that the connector was no longer touching and replaced the back and battery.

That was it. The touch screen was shorted out (luckily not permenantly).

#10 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

SOLUTION: X30 - touch screen does not respond.

(Previous solution was merely a false positive from testing without first replacing the screws. This is a real solution.)

I've found posts around here and there from people with the same problem ... after replacing the back-up battery for example ... the touch screen doesn't respond after they put it back together. The only suggestion I found was to go in and tape up some wires to assure they weren't causing a short.

Here's the solution I found: These things are designed to be small and narrow ... stuff is close together. The back snaps on and doesn't really need screws to stay on. If you screw the screws in too tightly when you put it back together, it deforms the cover and puts pressure on the stuff inside; around the edges especially.

The solution is: don't tighten the screws too tightly. Your Pocket PC isn't piece of furniture held together with nuts and bolts; it's a sensitive electonic device. Take it easy.

If you are putting one back together -- try testing first without replacing the screws. If it works then, but stops working after you replace the screws .... this fix should work ... just loosen the screws a bit until it starts working again.

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

Ah,

it works if there's a screw loose!

Now that I think of it,

I believe I too work better that way!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users