Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With An Attached File I Downloaded, And Then Lossed Where I Saved It

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Squidmonkey

Squidmonkey

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

I attach the powerpoint at school. send it to my own email adress. When i go home, i download it from my own email adress. Now one thing i think it might be is that i didnt SAVE IT TO COMP, but instead pressed OPEN, but then i did the whole thing, pressed save a couple times during, then when i exited, i look back on it and i exited too fast to realize where i saved it. Now It cant just be gone, the up to date COMPLETED VERSION has to be in some temp folder or something right? PLEASE HELP, PLEASE ITS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT YOU HELP BEFOR THE TIME IN THE DESCRIPTION! PLEASE JUST SKIP THE FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS JUST THIS ONCE IM BEGGING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:47 AM

Use the seach facility in Explorer to find the file.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Squidmonkey

Squidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:12 AM

Also, i went through the search function on powerpoint nothing came up, and that searches c. So i guess im out of luck. YOU HAVE TO CONFIRM THAT MY SUSPICIONS ARE CORRECT, OR GIVE ME THE GOOD NEWS THAT IT CAN STILL BE RECOVERED ASAP, I WORKED ON THIS THING ALL NIGHT AND DOING IT AGAIN WOULD TAKE A REALLY LONG TIME.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:18 AM

Another thing to try is to open the original powerpoint file directly from your email (just like you did last time). Then go File, Save As and note which directory it wants to save the file in. Don't save the file, just note the directory. Then navigate to that directory using Explorer and see if you can locate the file you are after. It may have an unusual name (ie. not the name it had when you originally attached it to the email).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

1. If you still have the original E-mail, then you could re-save the attachment to a folder that you created beforehand.
2. Open PPT and attempt to open an existing presentation.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

Which email agent do you have? Since for every agent there is a different path where temporarily the attachments are stored

#7 Squidmonkey

Squidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

search function didnt bring it up. The second idea sounded good and the directory was
local
c
documents and settings
owner
local settings
temporary internet files
content Ie5
and then a random temp folder in there
BUUT, i got stuck at owner as apparently i cant view 9 of the hidden files in the folder. (I WAS USING MY COMPUTER, I DONT KNOW WHAT EXPLORER IS OR IF IT IS ANY DIFFERENT)

I have the original email, its hotmail. What im looking for though is not the original power point, but the up to date one. I do have the original attachment but that as far as im concerned is ground zero because ive done so much work since then.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

Do you know how to use your search function?

If so, look for any files that were created on the date in question.

If you saved the file to your computer, then it's there, you just need to know where it's at.

goto Start, then click on the Search function. From there, tpye in *.ppt and it will search for every .ppt file on your computer.

If you don't find it that way use the function to find the file by dates, and use the date you emailed it.

#9 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

Go to Start > Programs -or- Start > All Programs then Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Click the OK button. Under the Disk Cleanup tab click on Temporary Internet Files to highlight it. Now click the View Files button below and you will see the Content.IE5 folders. Just double click on them so they open. You will get a warning box. Just click Yes. You should be able to locate your file within one of those folders. Copy & Paste it into a folder elesewhere, such as My Documents.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#10 Squidmonkey

Squidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:00 AM

Luckily we had a subsitute today and we also have a pd day on friday, so i have lots of time to find this/do it again.
I went through all the folders and found no power point files. But there are several files that are lacking a picture, so maybe if i opened all of them selecting power point on the list i could find it? Im reaching here, but hopefully you experts can help me out.

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:04 AM

To see hidden files:

On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Note To access Windows Explorer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

#12 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:44 AM

Luckily we had a subsitute today and we also have a pd day on friday, so i have lots of time to find this/do it again.
I went through all the folders and found no power point files. But there are several files that are lacking a picture, so maybe if i opened all of them selecting power point on the list i could find it? Im reaching here, but hopefully you experts can help me out.

Did you check the Content.IE5 folders as I instructed?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#13 Squidmonkey

Squidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

Yeah i checked them.

#14 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:33 PM

Do a search on your computer for any files that have been modified, and (or) created on the date in question.

If your files don't show up, especially on the created search, looks like you'll be having to redo your work.

#15 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:39 PM

Or go to the searchfunction with the below handle
*.*ppt
or under advanced search option select file type power point, and have your wqhole computer searched like that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users