Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me With Voip

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 peachesandscream

peachesandscream

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:14 AM

i know you all have big hearts here so im posting my question and here it goes:

are there ways to make free phone calls worldwide? like from this PC to a mobile phone?

i sooo know you guys can help me. :flowers:

will wait for your reply. i love this forum! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:43 AM

Have you tried skype, I use it for pc - pc communication, but it also has the ability to call phones (provided you purchase credit)

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/

hope it helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:52 AM

Beside Skype there are a lot of websites who are offering free telephone calls to land lines and for limited use to Mobile Phones. To which country spdecificly are you lloking for as far as mobile phones is concerned?

Explanation from Wikipedia.org on VOIP

oice over Internet Protocol, also called VoIP, IP Telephony, Internet telephony, Broadband telephony, Broadband Phone and Voice over Broadband is the routing of voice conversations over the Internet or through any other IP-based network.

Companies providing VoIP service are commonly referred to as providers, and protocols which are used to carry voice signals over the IP network are commonly referred to as Voice over IP or VoIP protocols. They may be viewed as commercial realizations of the experimental Network Voice Protocol (1973) invented for the ARPANET providers. Some cost savings are due to utilizing a single network - see attached image - to carry voice and data,

Edited by fozzie, 07 March 2007 - 04:53 AM.

#4 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

Free calls are typically limited to calling someone else with the same service. With Skype for example, you can call another Skype user anywhere for free. There are low rates for calling regular land lines and not to bad to cell phones either.

Truphone has been offering free calls anywhere in the US and Canada and UK through its Beta test period. It runs through WiFi on mobile smart phones ... you can check their site to see if your cell phone will work. Their scheduled Beta period is almost over though ...

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:56 AM

There are websites though who will let you call most of the countries free ( to landlines at least) and to a certain extend to mobilphones. Give me a day and I will come up with a list. Here is a result with Google on free phone calls

Edited by fozzie, 07 March 2007 - 07:59 AM.

#6 papermache

papermache

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:59 PM

well, I use a site called voip.com. It's not pc to phone, but phone to phone, and I actually like that better. Nothing to download, and I don't have a headset. It's free anywhere around the world. Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

#7 peachesandscream

peachesandscream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

well, I use a site called voip.com. It's not pc to phone, but phone to phone, and I actually like that better. Nothing to download, and I don't have a headset. It's free anywhere around the world. Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

that site sounds awesome. don't worry, im'ma check it out! thanks for all your suggestions, guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users