Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Upgrading Router ... Need Assistance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Panacinos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:22 AM

I have a Netgear RO318 Security Router it has 8 Ports.

i have 5 Computers and a PS3 Always on it and 3 Computers and XBOX360 not always connected.

Lately something is going on with my router where all my PC's Lose all new connections but current connections stay there. For Instance I could be on a site and AIM/Googletalk i try and load a new website or Close and connection failure. i used to reboot my router and Modem but i found that wasn't needed all i had to do was use the Remote access into the router and Run the Wizard with all the settings the same once it loads Netgears website my connection is back for a random amount of time but AIM/Googletalk never Lose connection

Now if it was a Problem with just One of my computers i would say i have a bug however its all the PCs and PS3 so it leads to the router.

So Now thats all out I'm looking to upgrade my router i 'm looking for something that has the features of my Old router with some Enhancements.

Maybe: Gigabit, Wireless (for the PS3 and Laptops) USB/Firewire connections (Modem has it would it be good?)

I currently Know nothing about Wireless But i was able to set up a friends PS3 with WPA/TKP or something like that

Anyone have any Ideas?

OH yeah none of the 5 Computers physically connected have Wireless capability

Sorry this Post is just a total mess it was random thoughts/questions/statements that sounded better in my head than on the board

Edited by Panacinos, 07 March 2007 - 02:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:59 AM

So basically from that i can gather that you want a new Wireless Router and you want advice on which 1 to get.
To be honest there are so many availiable that it is normally down to personal preferance of manufacturer. I have always liked Netgear, Linksys and belkin. They have always done me fine for the home market.
Posted Image

#3 Panacinos

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:02 AM

Correct i'm looking for Ideas of what ones people have that are good for what i need

also if there is 8 physical Ports (RJ45/USB) on a Wireless router can only 8 PCs be connected or the wireless part doesn't use same connections? so it could be more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users