Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Sort Your Firefox & Ie Tabs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:11 AM

Before I begin, I've looked extensively here for this trick, but I haven't found it, although I know many of you may already know how to do this... but I just found out how to do it yesterday, and would like to share this in case any one wants to do the same.

If many of you are like me and have lots of tabs open in Firefox (or if you use IE), but then you want to sort them in a way where you can get from one tab to another, there is a simple trick/tip to do it.

Just mouse over the tab you want to move, and while you're over it, left-click on the tab, then drag it next to the tab(s) you want it next to, then just release the mouse button. While you're dragging the tab, there will be an indicator (a downwards pointing arrow) on the top of your tabs, in between them, letting you know where your tab will be placed.

I should have known about this trick/tip long ago, but I never tried it.

Happy Tab Sorting :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:54 AM

Another Firefox tip, in case you weren't aware of it, center clicking a tab will close it.

Along the same line, there's an extension you might be interested in:
Tabs Open Relative

..... makes all new tabs open to the right of the current tab, rather than at the far right of the tab bar.

So, if you have 5 tabs open, and you are clicking links in tab 2, all new tabs open next to tab 2, instead of tab 5.
Saves having to drag your tabs around, so much. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

Now that is what I need. I'm tired of my tabs opening up all the way at the right-end, but the tab I clicked on is the second one,, but now my newly opened tab is the 18th one.

Thanks so much for that one tg1911. I'm not sure I would have thought of remembering that that is a big problem for me. I just got used to dealing with it like that, but thanks to you... that problem is solved.

Great tip/trick tg1911

[Added Info]
I tried the center clicking, and it didn't work until I clicked on the roller button I have in the center of my mouse. It works like a charm. Now that,, I didn't know either.. but now I do. Thanks for the tip.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Walkman, 07 March 2007 - 03:10 PM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

You're welcome, Walkman.

I tried the center clicking, and it didn't work until I clicked on the roller button I have in the center of my mouse. It works like a charm.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
I call clicking with the mouse wheel center-clicking, as opposed to right, and left clicking. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users