Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Completely Remove Mcafee

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 altishima

altishima

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:50 AM

My trial of McAfee ended in Dec or so and I've been using AVG ever since. I thought I had done a clean sweep of everything McAfee from my computer in the uninstall, but recently found out that the McAfee Personal Firewall Plus is still active.

If I turn off all my other firewalls, Sygate and the Windows firewall, it tells me that McAfee is currently on and protecting my computer.

I've done a few searches and tried the removal tools McAfee provides, but it's still there. I can search under firewall and have a few remnants show up; one in my restore partition and the other in c:\windows\system32.

What should I do to completely remove McAfee from my pc? I'd appreciate any help you could give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:27 AM

Step 1
he easiest and safest way to do this is:

* Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
* Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
* Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
* Click "OK".
* Click the "More Options" Tab.
* Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Step 2
Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

#3 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:39 PM

I followed the directions.

Ccleaner did clean/fix a lot problems, but McAfee Personal Firewall is still showing if I turn off Sygate. Anything else I could try?

Edited by altishima, 07 March 2007 - 11:39 PM.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:31 AM

Removal guide for McAfee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users