Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable At Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

I am running a Union Friendly Systems ME computer, with 11 Gb hard drive, 64 Mb RAM, upgraded to 512. The hard drive has recently been partitioned so that half of it has Kubuntu, and the other half still has Windows ME. I am still using the ME, because it has AOL dial-up installed, and there is no cable at this location.

Many of the stability problems seem to have existed before the partition, but got worse. The most common one is that I will type start--U--Enter, with shut down selected, with or without closing all open windows, and the computer will shut down normally but immediately restart. Then I have to watch the screen and change the selection to windows, or the computer will boot Kubuntu. Kubuntu will demand a password before I can select shut down, but even so, Windows will detect an improper shut down next time and start a disc check.

If I try to shut down with AOL still connected, some kind of crash is almost certain.

It's not uncommon for ZoneAlarm to show a red X when starting after a crash, indicating that a restart is required for an active firewall.

Today I got a blue screen error message when shutting down:

File Name: VWIN 32(05) + 000012D0
Error: 0E : 0028 : C02A44A8

After pressing "enter" to return to windows, the wallpaper reappeared briefly, after which the screen went blank and the lights in the function control area of the monitor all started to blink in unison. The only thing I could do was type control-alt-delete, which restarted the computer.

The computer seems like it tends to freeze when RAM is filling up. Also sometimes when starting more than one program at once. Sometimes close program helps, but not always.

I downloaded the windows traditional Chinese character entry package from windows update, but it seems not too useful, because it is not active in notepad, open office, or secure shell. The documentation is very scanty.

We did a disc defragmentation before partitioning it, but now the defragmenter will not work.

Is it likely that I have some corrupted files that could be fixed, corrupted files that could not be fixed, or is it how windows is designed to act?

rainbow_warrior

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:34 PM

Get rid of Zone Alarm. It has to be the worst firewall/protection program out there. It WILL make connections and your PC mess up. Ditch that useless software!

Gavin Seabrook

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

Not sure with ME, but if it keeps rebooting after shutting down the computer, it's usually a driver issue or possibly a "wake on" LAN or USB setting in the BIOS. Here's a few sites to do a little more research on the error code:
one
two
three
four

I've used ZA for a few years with no problems. I like it better than Trend-Micro that I have on another machine, but that's just me
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 07 March 2007 - 03:36 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

Actually, sometimes I get a message saying, ``The last few times your computer went on stand-by, it stopped responding. Do you want to prevent it from going on stand-by?'' I always check ``no.'' I am not sure what events the message is referring to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users