Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Genuine Advantage Notification

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:33 PM

Hi - I do have a legal WinXP O/S on this new e-machine. But it has been so unreliable and complicated b/c of OEM software and probably some user error, I've had to reload it 6 times in 1 year.

I have Windows 2000 on my Win98 machine that is a decent machine but small monitor. I want to be able to use Win 2000 on the XP machine as XP is the last chance to get updates for Win 2000 as I understand.

I have a 2-gig flash drive U-3 which I think means it will work under 98. I do not have the disks for Ofc 2000, it came with the machine. I would like to copydown Ofc2000 to the flash drive so I can use it when needed on the XP machine.

After reading about Win Genuine Advantage, I don't think it will let me copy Office products without the disks. I do have a license number for 2000 which might be a multiple user; although my name is on it.

Will Genuine Advantage keep me from getting updates until I install it? Will it keep me from installing (copying over) Office 2000? (Microsoft doc only speaks to Ofc 2002 and later).

I also have a router and verizon services but I can't make up my mind between yahoo and microsoft. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Any ideas? Thank you.
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

You can not simply copy Office from one machine to the other - it won't work. You have to install it using the installation disks. The reason for this is that during the installation process entries are added to the registry that allow the program to function correctly. If you simply copy the files across to another machine none of the registry entries will be there.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

Plus, it's probably against the EULA.

#4 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

Hi Peeps, thank you for the replies. I understand,

But what about the "File Settings and Transfer Wizard?" It seems to have been invented so we can take our software with us to our new machines. I understood that XP would be the last O/S that would support and get fixes for Ofc2k.

The EULA for Genuine Advantage only mentioned Office 2002 and later, so maybe it won't care about Ofc2k. Plus, One Care sneaked it on my machine last night.

Does the Transfer Wizard erase the "from" machine? Does it take the O/S with it? Doesn't every EULA allow one backup copy of the software? Because I can't get any more fixes for Ofc 2000 under Win98, I want it on on my XP machine so I can get it updated and backed up and put back, so that when the XP machine gets messed up, I still have a backup computer.

XP seems so #$%^ complicated. Does everybody use a FAT32 virtual drive to hold XP? Would a straight NTFS (sp?) be a more reliable configuration?

Thank you
:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

I've been running WinXP on a FAT32 partition for about a year without any issues except for one NVIDIA driver it didn't like. I have installed many programs to test, then removed those I didn't like without issue.

I can't understand why you would need to keep reinstalling XP. I have never reinstalled Win98SE that many times on one PC since it first came out, except for that one PC I used as a test bed for hacking the registry.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

Thanks, Terri, but its XP that I've had to reload 6 times in one year. I am wondering about the virtual d: drive formatted fat32: is your XP machine formatted like that?

My Win98 machine is fine. It's just slow compared to the new one. And I'd like to get the support offered for Office 2000 if still available and I'm not going to buy any more O/Ss unless I can get a real XP disk (not OEM) for XP real cheap. This machine has cost a fortune to upgrade and for software to protect it.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

I don't run a virtual drive. Why are you running XP on a virtual drive??? I have never had to reinstall or repair my XP Home OEM install. OEM is the same thing as Retail except you supposedly can't upgrade the hardware too many times without having a problem with activation. I have upgraded this and client's computers that had XP OEM many times and reactivated easily.

My XP is install on one 20GB hard drive and 98SE is installed on a 7GB partition on a second hard drive with the remainder as storage. I select which OS to boot through my Bios.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 08 March 2007 - 12:10 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

Hi Terri,

Virtual D: drive created as FAT32 is the way the OEM sets it up. It's an e-machine supported by gateway as a contractor. They did send me instructions to reload the OS and promised it wouldn't mess up my data. I haven'tt done it yet because I am still trying to recover a backup dvd I made using Nero but got messed up with Norton scanning it. Norton apparently removed the instructios on how to read the dvd. The only software I've found that can read it is ISO buster, but I don't want to spend the money on software just for one dvd. I just upgraded Nero 6 that came with the external dvd writer - i'm going to see if they will help me restore that disk. I also (the first time I reloaded at gateway's direction), I lost my OE mail. Soooo po'd.

Then I get involved with politics and forget about restoring the machine. Country is going down the drain; gotta keep banging on the politicians doors to do things right!

Thanks,
jo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users