Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Higgy76

Higgy76

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

Ok well I just upgraded my connnection a few months ago and I was just wondering if I upgraded it enough.
Right now I have 4 pc's, Xbox 360 and Vonage.
The speed I have right now is 5000kb/s download and 300kb/s upload
Is this good enought to handle everything I have

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:53 AM

Well it really depends what you are using it for as in downloading and uploading. But yes that seems to be a good fast connection.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:50 PM

Bear in mind that even though you have a decent "pipe", some things, ex: x-box, depend on timing to get info to and from servers. the amount of time it takes a packet to reach it'xs destination and come back with a response as in real time gaming, or telephone service. this is called your ping. assuming you have a dsl line or something of a single internet connection. other types of connections like T-1 connections have multiple smaller connections which reduces your ping, this is especially preferred if you have many "nodes" accessing the internet simutaneously. instead of everybody using the same pipe, they can be routed through the different connections on a T-1 line, reducing the wait time needed to get everybody out and back in an orderly fashion. so you may notic`e a small lag in your vonage and or xbox netbased services. but you should get a decent download for files.

also note, if yo have 6 nodes accessing the net, providing you have lots of traffic, you should look at your router's capabilities. some of the more inexpensive (not always) have small or shoddy buffers, dont offer decent firmware updates, these may be a nuisance if the buffers flood and you need to refresh the power often. some of the dual WAN routers have 32m buffers and are able to install 3rd party firmware to without much diffuculty. but that is another story. sorry about rambling on a bit. i got carried away in thought.
anyway, chec this one out, i have it on my bench at work where i have (with switches) sometimes 25 computers accessing at once using 2 dsl lines. and we download gigs a day from the net.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

Edited by Snapper, 07 March 2007 - 09:51 PM.

Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 Higgy76

Higgy76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the help guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users