Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quicktime Problems! Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PhoebeJeby

PhoebeJeby

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

I have been having major problems with Quicktime. It was not working properly and so I tried to uninstall it and got an error. I tried to fix it through the quicktime install to no avail. I then tried to reinstall. Still no luck. I then deleted the program folder and deleted quicktime from regedit. I installed Quicktime Alternative but now I am unable to view quicktime related items on webpage and have since been getting errors that tell me that Script is running slow on my webpage and it asked me to stop running them. I am having so many problems. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

The main thing to do is to uninstall it, through the Add/Remove Programs, and also going to your Program Files folder and delete the folder from there. After doing that, reboot your computer.

What you will want to do is try to install QuickTime again, but use it only for web pages. Install QuickTime Alternative and use it for viewing content offline.

What browser are you using?

If you have any problems with the above, try to document as much as you can about the errors you get, and post them here.

#3 PhoebeJeby

PhoebeJeby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

I have done both of those before reinstalling and posting here. When I click quicktime to open it, it will not open. I get an hour glass so it looks like it is going to open but does not. Should I try to unistall it again from add remove and see if I get an error this time? I am using aol and IE 7

Edited by PhoebeJeby, 06 March 2007 - 09:36 PM.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:16 PM

Yes... uninstall QuickTime and The Alternative version too.

If don't use Firefox, it would be a good idea to download it, because it's good to have more than one browser, which can help troubleshoot browser problems.

The reason I want you to Download/use Firefox is that I want you to go to a ny site where you're having trouble viewing the QuickTime files... and while using the Firefox, it should display an error and a link on the top of the page, giving you the option to download/install the driver files you need. And another reason is that you are only going to install just the basic files to get QuickTime to run in your browser.

If you do it that way, it should/might work, but it's worth a shot.

After you install it that way, and the video plays, close out Firefox, and then load that web page with IE and see if it'll play. If it works for both browsers, then you can install QuickTime software.

If you want to use QuickTime for offline and online usage, you can either:
a. download QuickTime again from it's main source, and install it. It should install if the above works.
b. Install QuickTime Alternative, test a file with it, and if it works ok, then install the QuickTime afterwards.

I myself, don't have the QuickTime software itself on my computers, I just have it installed for my browsers, and for my off line files, I just use the Alternative program.

#5 PhoebeJeby

PhoebeJeby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

I followed your directions and uninstalled Quicktime Alt. and Quicktime. I installed firefox, opened the webpage and it told me to download the Adobe Flash plugin. I did that and the items worked. I tried to open the page in IE and they did not. I reinstalled both Flash and Shockwave and now firefox, aol, and ie browsers work. Now what should I do about getting quicktime?

Edited by PhoebeJeby, 07 March 2007 - 11:02 AM.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

Post deleted....

I misread the last reply, and gave suggestions that wasn't needed.

Edited by Walkman, 07 March 2007 - 01:28 PM.

#7 PhoebeJeby

PhoebeJeby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:13 PM

I have no redone the steps you stated because I did manage to get all the browsers working properly with the programs after I reinstalled the Flash and Shockwave programs. Prior to doing this I did run a virus scan, spybot, adaware, as well as CCleaner so I do not believe it was caused by an issue involving any of these. So, as of right now, all the browsers are working correctly. My only concern now is attempting to Reinstall Quicktime which I have not done yet. I am concerned that A: it will mess up my browser again and I will have to start over or B: I will revert back to being unable to open the Quicktime program even though it is infact installed.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

Oop's.. my bad!

I misread your last post... I'm so sorry, and I'm glad you didn't do the other steps, even though they wouldn't harmed anything, but it would have wasted your time.

ok.... you should be able to just install QuickTime.

If you haven't tried it yet...
Open Firefox, go to a web page that has a QuickTime movie. It should give you the error of not having it installed, and it'll give you the option to do so.

But if you did as I posted in my 2nd reply, then there is no need for QuickTime software itself, you already have it. But if you want it, just go to their website and download it, and install it. That should be all you need to do.

What exactly are you trying to do whereas you believe you must have QuickTime? And don't forget to install your QuickTime Alternative.

#9 PhoebeJeby

PhoebeJeby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

I have video clips that have been sent to me and are in a format that quicktime plays. Occasionally online there are videos and such that are played by quicktime which started this initial problem, lol. So, I should just install quicktime and quicktime alt from a website to solve this?

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

For the files that are sent to you, just use the QuickTime Alternative.

For the files that are on the Internet that are QuickTime, you should already be able to view them now.. through your browsers, without anything else.

Just go to a web site that has QuickTime movies on them, and try to view them right now, then post back your results.

#11 PhoebeJeby

PhoebeJeby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

I went to a webpage that required quicktime with firefox and it directed me to the apple site to download quicktime. I did and things seem to working flawlessly. Thank you so much for the help. :thumbsup:

#12 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

Glad you got it all squared away. :thumbsup:

[Added Info]
Although you got everything working ok, I just wanted to add that while I was helping you on this, the computer I'm on didn't have QuickTime nor the Alternative. I went to the apple web site and clicked on iTunes. It gave an error that i needed QuickTime to be installed to view that page.

I just opened another browser tab (Firefox), went to http://www.free-codecs.com and downloaded and installed the QuickTime Alternative... I then went back to apples web site, clicked on the iTunes link.... but this time I didn't get any errors, and everything loaded.

I then went a found an online QuickTime file, and it loaded up with no problems at all... still, without actually having to install the QuickTime itself.

Just thought I would let you know. And also my point may be that you should be careful of sites that claim you need something when you already have it. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. I'm not saying that's your case.... but I should have told you to go to apples web site afterwards, and click on iTunes, and if the page loaded correctly, then you have all the needed QuickTime files to watch QuickTime files online. I just found out this new test, but it works wonderfully.

I'll add my findings to my archive.

Edited by Walkman, 07 March 2007 - 04:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users