Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Erase Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mags B

Mags B

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

I have an old computer that I need to give away and want to erase the hard drive, but the floppy drive isn't working. So, none of the usual instructions seem to work.I have searched the archives until I was cross-eyed. It's running Windows ME so I'm even more frustrated. I hate to take a torch to it, but it was used by a non-profit organization and I really need to get rid og that stuff before I give it away.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Mags:wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

If you have another already working computer, you can just plug up that old hard drive as a slave, and just use the working computer to purge the hard drives data.

There are some FREE tools that will erase all the data on it, making it impossible to restore.

One good program is called Eraser.

You can get it here:
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

Download Killdisk and make a CD of it. You will need to go into your BIOS and make you CD-ROM the first boot device and place the disc in the CD-ROM. The next time you turn your computer on it will boot to the CD, follow the prompts and it will over write the information on the hdd.

If you are going to give this relic away without an operating system it is pretty much worthless, especially if it is old enough to be running ME. I wouldn't even fool with the hdd, just take it out and trash it and hope that someone will take the puter for parts. Ever seen what a sawzall will do to one?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users