Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pandascan And Outlook

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

Was wondering if anyone else has encountered this before...

I was doing an active pandascan and I left it to get on with it. I came back about an hour later and it seemed to have frozen. I moved the screen however and behind it was a small window asking to make a microsoft out look account... :thumbsup: I dont use outlook though i have got it installed on my computer. Im now going to take it off and try again. I just thought it was strange as I cant remember it happening before. Once I clicked closed to make the new account however the scan bar went to full and said nothing was wrong.

I done a AVG free anti spyware and nothing was picked up on that so im more wondering if panda has changed somehow.

I off to remove outlook as i said and see what happens. In the mean time, has anyone else encountered this?
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

Ok quick update. Dont know if it has anything to do with this but here goes.

I decided to do an AVG anti virus instead. I came back to it after 20minutes and there was a different screen up saying it was not able to connect or install microsoft office?!? It also had another creen saying i could not close that one untill i closed another?!?! Slightly confused as I didnt click anything to start with.

This cant be normal behavior right?

Edit: Oh, it gave me the location of something on my coputer saying for more information go there. I was taught never to open anything that your suspicious of though just incase. Better safe than sorry. Suggestions? am i being to cautious?

Edited by athelos, 06 March 2007 - 08:00 PM.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Did you suspect a problem before running the Panda scan?
If you can, open the task manager a close down whatever is running, then boot into safe mode and try scanning with whatever antivirus you have installed. I don't have a clue what is triggering the Microsoft products.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

I werent running the scans becuase I was suspicious about anything. I just like doing scans every now and then just to be certain. Im doing some research on the file I was directed to. Hopefully I'll find some more answers there. If nothing else comes up ill try safe mode scan. Ill keep you updated. :thumbsup:
--Charles Schultz

#5 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

Hmmm...The error seems to be a legit error and the files I was directed to are legit too. The only thing that I'm still stumped by is why it came up in the first place. It was totally irrelevant to what I was doing...strange. Should i be worried? Or does it look like its just one of those unexplainable things computers sometimes do...?
--Charles Schultz

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

could be. sometimes a reboot resolves the problem. Again though, was there a problem that caused you to run an antivirus scan?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

No, I was just doing a sort of "check up" scan. Just to make sure that nothing had been able to creep onto my computer without my knowing. Thanks though for your replies. Put me at ease a bit more :thumbsup:
--Charles Schultz

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:11 AM

I was looking at your original post, and I was wondering whether the small window was asking if you wanted to make Outlook your default e-mail client. I have noticed this happen with Panda scans before. I think this happens because Panda opens the Outlook e-mail file to scan it, and the computer generates that window if Outlook isn't your default. I just click on "no" and let the Panda scan finish.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

Oooh, okey. Thanks Orange Blossom for clearing that up for me. I was wondering whether it was panda doing it or the work of something more mischevious :thumbsup: however unlikely it may have sounded.
--Charles Schultz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users