Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multipal Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 420narc

420narc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

I am running XP and have received the following message for the last two days;
"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Buffer Overrun Detected." Do not know the cause of this message.

Additionally, I am having a difficult time with pop-ups from IE, I tried to download IE 7 and I am being advised that I have been a victim of counterfiet software. I have been running Zone Alam along with AVG antivirus, however I continue to get pop-ups and my system is dragging really slow. Anyone have and idea on how to solve this situation? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:21 AM

Who or what advised you that you have been a victim of counterfiet software?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:22 AM

If try to download updates from windows do you get a similar message? Do you have an original disk from XP?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

Have you installed any toolbar or application recently?
Have you scanned your hard drive with any anti-spyware applications?
Have you run checkdisk and defragged your computer?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 420narc

420narc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

I was informed by Microsoft.com while trying to update my IE. As for the toolbars, I have not installed anything new since Zone Alarm. And for the XP cd, no I do not have it, this was a hand-me-down CPU.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:17 AM

If you have a non-genuine copy of XP then you won't be able to install IE7. It's no real problem - get Firefox, it's better than IE anyway.

If you're getting a lot of pop-ups then chances are you are infected with malware. This could also be the cause of your Buffer Overrun errors.

Try scanning with your AVG antivirus in safe mode. Also, install some more anti-spyware applications and scan with those in safe mode also. I would recommend:

Spybot
Ad-Aware
Superantispyware
AVG antispyware

These are all free and links can be found in the following thread:

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Also try a couple of the online scans listed in the above thread.

That should keep you busy for a while. If you still have problems get back to us.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users