Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I Have Two Operating Systems...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

If I have two operating systems loaded on a computer, when I turn it on, will it automatically ask what operating system I want to use, will it not boot, or will it just pick one? Do I need a special program to get to choose what one I want?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

If you've setup both OS's correctly, then yes.

For example:

If you wanted to have both Windows 98SE and Window XP on the same computer you would need to:
1. Partiton your hard drive into two or more logical drives
2. Install Windows 98SE on the first drive
3. Install Windows XP on the second drive

Now when you started up the computer, you would be presented with a menu from which you could choose your operating system. All major OS's (Windows, Linux, etc) come with their own bootloader (which presents the menu to you.

What OS's were you looking to install?

#3 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

If you want to have the PC bootup without asking what operating system you can Edit The Boot.INI File
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#4 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

If you've setup both OS's correctly, then yes.

For example:

If you wanted to have both Windows 98SE and Window XP on the same computer you would need to:
1. Partiton your hard drive into two or more logical drives
2. Install Windows 98SE on the first drive
3. Install Windows XP on the second drive

Now when you started up the computer, you would be presented with a menu from which you could choose your operating system. All major OS's (Windows, Linux, etc) come with their own bootloader (which presents the menu to you.

What OS's were you looking to install?

I was looking at Windows XP and Linux. (Yes, the drive is FAT, Linux can write on the HDD)

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Try looking at this for further info. You can find a lot more by googleing "dual boot linux and Windows XP" or something similar. Also, I'm not a Linux person so I'm not sure, but there may be issues specific to a particular flavor of Linux, so you may want to check out either the Bleeping Computer Linux Forum or the help forum for your flavor's webpage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users