Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Ram

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Red10

Red10

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

Hello all thanks for taking the time to view this post.

I recently bought a new computer, due to the fact that my power supply and motherboard died on my old one.
My problem is that I have a lot of files on my old computer that are now lost.
I was wondering if I could install the RAM from my old computer to the new one and by doing so retrieve my lost work.
If it is possible to keep data on RAM when it is installed into another computer would this RAM,
512 DDR 333 MHz CL2.5, be compatible with my new computer?

NEW PC is an HP Pavilion a1644x:

Windows xp Pro SP2
5.1 Build 2600

BIOS:
American Megatrends Inc.
HP-CPC-11000630

Motherboard:
ECS Asterope3 1.1

Hopefully this will work, If not thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

as long as its 240 pin RAM you shouldn't have a problem. here is a link to the HP website talking about your motherboard specs.

i may be reading your post incorrectly, but putting the RAM from your old computer into your new computer will not allow you to retrieve data. the RAM provides a pathway for information on your computer, not the storage.

however, if your old hard drive is still intact, you can use XP to transfer files from it to your new computer. or you can just hook it up as a secondary hard drive.

let us know.

salud,
bg04

ps- here is another link on that site that talks about RAM upgrading.

Edited by blueandgold04, 06 March 2007 - 01:26 PM.

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:50 PM

I was wondering if I could install the RAM from my old computer to the new one and by doing so retrieve my lost work.

RAM is memory which is used for running programs not storing files. Your files will be on your old Hard Drive, you will be bettter swapping Hard Drives to retrieve your files. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

RAM is memory which is used for running programs not storing files. Your files will be on your old Hard Drive, you will be bettter swapping Hard Drives to retrieve your files. :thumbsup:

Agreed! It's easier to move one part then it is to move several then hope it works without damaging the new parts.

You can pull your old hdd out, and attach it to your new computer as a slave, then you should be able to retrieve any data that you need off it :flowers: You can also use it for more storage too!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Red10

Red10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry what bg04 said is exactly what I meant to ask.

as long as its 240 pin RAM you shouldn't have a problem. here is a link to the HP website talking about your motherboard specs.

i may be reading your post incorrectly, but putting the RAM from your old computer into your new computer will not allow you to retrieve data. the RAM provides a pathway for information on your computer, not the storage.

however, if your old hard drive is still intact, you can use XP to transfer files from it to your new computer. or you can just hook it up as a secondary hard drive.

let us know.

salud,
bg04

ps- here is another link on that site that talks about RAM upgrading.

If it wouldn't be too much to ask, could I be directed by a guide or directed to a site that would allow me to connect my old hard drive to my new pc and get my files.
Again thanks for everyone's time, this pc noob is very grateful!

Edited by Red10, 06 March 2007 - 02:48 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

Here's a few. The first 2 have decent picures also
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

Why not just get an inexpensive external hard drive enclosure, install the old hard drive in the enclosure and transfer the files you need through USB?

Seems to me this would be easier. Also you would not have any chance of violating the warranty on your new computer.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

Why not just get an inexpensive external hard drive enclosure, install the old hard drive in the enclosure and transfer the files you need through USB?

Seems to me this would be easier. Also you would not have any chance of violating the warranty on your new computer.

Inexpensive or otherwise it is money spent that you don't need to, just connect it as a slave and have at it. Most manufacturers will not void a warranty for adding a hdd or RAM unless you damage something inadvertently in the process.

Something that I'm sad to see that no one has mentioned...do not connect this old hdd as the master in your new computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Red10

Red10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the links, i'll be sure to attach my old hdd as the slave. Hopefully I don't mess anything up.

#10 Red10

Red10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

I am happy to say that i have recovered all the files i needed. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all!

I would like to keep the old hdd for extra space. I now have 2 other hdd that show on "My Computer" besides the 2 original hdd "HP Pavilion" and "HP_Recovery".
The 2 that showed up after attaching my old hdd are "Presario" and "Presario_RP".

I realize that the "Presario_RP" is probably the recovery for the "Presario" drive.
Do i need to format both or just the "Presario"?

Once again thanks for the help.

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

You can format just the Presario partition, not the Presario_RP. If you format the Presario_RP, then you'll lose your copy of windows (unless you have made the restore discs, or have restore discs that came with it already). :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#12 Red10

Red10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

Thanks! i'll do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users