Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Are Crooks More Efficient Than Customer Service?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

10 minutes ago, I posted my laptop for sale on Craigslist (gots to pay da rent, ya know).

8 minutes ago, I had this exchange:

Hello seller
> I was fortunate to sport(sic) your advert on the internet
> and l will(sic) like to know if it still available
> for sale if avaulable (sic),please get back to me with
> the
> following enquires(sic) are you the first owner last
> price present condition forward the pics where are
> based(sic) what is the rerason(sic) you want to sell it
> l expect your soonest reply (sic)
> Best regard

> Yes, the computer is still available. I will not,
> however ship it, person to person transactions only.
> I've been burned in the past. Local pickup in San
> Francisco. Let me know.

-Andrew

Thanks for you quick responce(sic) i will be buying,i will(sic)
like to tell you that i will be paying with a check
and as for the shipment my shipper will
come for the pick up at your location upon your
confirmation of receiving the payment and i dont
want you to look for any other buyer.i would have
love(sic) to come down for the pick up.but am not chance(sic)
to do that now but am(sic) satisfy(sic) with yourh(sic) your
discription(sic) of the item i will(sic) like you to give me
the following so that your payment can be
send.................
1....your full name to be on the check
2..your full contact address to send the payment to
3..your zip code
4.your mobile nad(sic) land nunmber to reach you.i will
expect your mail.asap

I'm sorry, I do not accept checks nor release my personal information to people I don't know. Have a nice day.

I sent an e-mail to eMachines support (just asking where I can download a driver for one of their computers and it takes them a week and a half to respond and then only to tell me to get bent!

Arg! :thumbsup:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 06 March 2007 - 09:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

PS

I noted all the grammatical and spelling errors (as you can see). Just a word to the wise: most scammers have apparently never taken the time to learn to spell, punctuate, or compose a coherent sentence.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

I will not have any dealings over the net whatsoever.Will not bank over the net.If I can't get Antispyware or Antivirius Software for nix,I don't get it.Won't use Ebay either.I think it's better to be sure than sorry.
If I have missed out on great Bargains,so be it.I think the net is too risky to do Business over.IMHO.
I have had my share of Nigerian Scam Emails.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

Indeed, you're position is not without logic. I do use the net for transactions but I'm very careful. Still, I worry.

Maybe I'll just go back to the barter system... it's safer :thumbsup:

Anyone wanna pay my rent this month in exchange for a nice, used laptop computer?

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

I have had my share of Nigerian Scam Emails.

That is what you get messing with these gentlemen

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

You know, considering how many Nigerian Generals, office holders, widows of generals and/or office holders, shady attorneys and such who have personally contacted me in an unsuccessful effort to give me what amounts to free money (unless you consider grand larceny as some sort of risk), you'd think they'd get the message and go offer millions of dollars to some other, more worthy American. Perhaps an orphanage, or some sort of non-profit cheese factory?

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

The scam that I always wonder about always leaves me bemused. How can anyone getting an email or a telephone call saying they've 'won' possibly think they have if they've never even entered a contest. Yet apparently, this common and 'low grade' scan works even now - with people sending in money to get their 'prize'.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

I noted all the grammatical and spelling errors (as you can see). Just a word to the wise: most scammers have apparently never taken the time to learn to spell, punctuate, or compose a coherent sentence.

I'm not so concerned about the grammatical and spelling issues as I am about the contents. After all, there are a lot of other scams that appear in different venues written with perfect spelling and grammar. Some of the errors I see in the pasted message are the same kinds of errors my ESL students make and is influenced by their native language. One of these is the use of 'will' instead of 'would'. It is not easy to learn when to use one and not the other. Native English speakers don't actually learn that in school, rather they acquire it by being surrounded by the language from birth.

Other errors are caused by carelessness or haste, and I see a lot of native English speakers doing that!

avaulable (sic)

. This error is quite understandable as the 'u' is right next to the 'i' on the keyboard - in short it is a typo and the writer didn't proofread his/her post. Furthermore, he/she has spelled it correctly elsewhere in the post.

enquires(sic)

This one is influenced by two things: at least some familiarity with British English spelling patterns, and not totally understanding some of the rules governing proper plural formation of words ending in y or possibly it is another typo. Without more examples of his/her writing I cannot determine which. He dropped the 'y' but neglected to change it to an 'i' before adding the 'es' ending, or else simply left it out by accident. Correct British spelling: enquiries.

As you can see, I am a language teacher. One of the things I teach my students is how to recognize the bait (in Mara's example the phrase "you have won ________ ") and traps and scams in writing which includes a lot of advertising. One example is credit card offers. In huge letters and figures: 0% introductory rate. In really tiny print elsewhere is what the rate will be in a few months. Usually something in the vicinity of 20% or higher, not to mention other fees. But how many people actually look for that fine print and read it? And while they are learning these things they are also learning vocabulary, interpretation, reading an expository text as opposed to a narrative, inferencing etc. I also try to teach them safe internet habits.
---------
It does seem in a lot of places businesses are taking advantage of customers rather than providing them services. There are other places that do provide excellent customer service. I've been delighted with the customer service of Slateboard in Canada for example. I have loan managing software from them. They have actually created patches for their software to solve problems that were specific to me - at least at that time! One result of treating customers well is having loyal customers which creates a healthy business.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:09 PM

Well, as a language teacher I expect that you share my unending and pathological hatred of people who can't form a coherent sentence or be bothered to learn the rules of grammar and syntax. Not to mention learning to spell. Obviously I give people whose first language is not English a lot of slack when it comes to this; you should hear me butcher French! But I extend no such courtesies to people whose first language is English.

Further, I abhor AOLspeak. LOL, ROTFL, BRB are okay for chat rooms when it's real time and you're holding a conversation. But it has no place in more formal writing (and yes, I consider online forums and such formal writing; I know: lame.) The one exception to this is the ever-useful RTFM. I love that one.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:29 PM

Well, as a language teacher I expect that you share my unending and pathological hatred of people who can't form a coherent sentence or be bothered to learn the rules of grammar and syntax. Not to mention learning to spell.

Actually no, I don't. The written, unofficial standard American English is in many ways a foreign language to many native English speakers. People mostly don't talk that way. In addition, there are many ways of speaking and using English. Acknowledging this I think is key in addressing the needs of the various students in our classes. Knowing that we need to teach academic English as a second language and comparing the differences between the different English styles helps people become better readers and writers. More important than grammar, syntax, and spelling in writing are the following: Is the idea clear? Is the piece well-organized? Is the language style and vocabulary appropriate for the audience? Does the writing match the genre it was written for?* For example: The piece is supposed to be a letter to provide evidence of a banking error. Is the piece in letter format? Is the problem, the error, introduced and described? Is the evidence there? Is the evidence presented in a logical fashion? Is the evidence discussed to illustrate how it shows that the bank made the error in question? Is the letter respectful?

Grammar and spelling are like the dishes for a meal. If the food is lousy, the best china doesn't improve the flavor any. So, when I evaluate a piece of writing, I look at the larger issues first and see if there are problems there. I choose a larger issue to work on, and then choose one type of spelling error or one type of grammatical error and work with the student to understand and use the correct forms. It is equally important to point out what the student has done well and discuss why it works well. It makes no sense to point out spelling and grammar issues if the person's idea isn't clear or if the organization is muddled. This does not mean that I ignore these, but it is not the be-all and end-all of good writing. Grammar and spelling need to be addressed in context as well so there is an association with meaning. The best writers know when and how to break grammatical rules. Shakespeare did it all the time. As did Mark Twain and many other great writers.

*Okay, many of you have probably heard the mantra: Never end a sentence with a preposition, and you're probably thinking I have made a grammatical error here. Actually, I haven't. 'For' in this sentence is not a preposition. It is what linguists call a particle. In more of an every day English, it is part of a phrasal verb which is a verb composed of more than one word, in this case 'write for'. 'Put on' is another phrasal verb. I can say either of the following: I will put on my jacket. I will put my jacket on. 'On my jacket' is not a prepositional phrase in this case. Nothing is 'on' the jacket. Rather, 'jacket' is the object of the verb phrase 'put on', which is why I can put 'my jacket' between 'put' and 'on'. However, I could never say: I will put the jacket the table on. In this case, the prepositional phrase is 'on the table', and 'the table' must follow 'on'.
-------
Back on the topic of scams. I received a piece of mail today saying that I could save a bundle of money on my student loans if only I transferred the loans to them. Among other things, in bold face it says "No payments for 6 months." Barely visible in a faded print is a miniature superscript 2. It looks almost like a speck on the page, really easy to look over and miss. It took me 10 minutes to find the location of the footnote buried in fine print so small even I nearly needed a magnifying glass to read it. The footnote says: "Interest will continue to accrue on the loan during the period payments are postponed."

Here's what a lot of folks fall for: 1) They think that because they are having their loans transferred and because of that boldfaced print they do not have to pay the current lender if they are in repayment. The document says nothing about the necessity to continue payments with the current lender. So folks wind up in big trouble because they are now in default, unless they were in the grace period which is usually the first six months after graduating. 2) They miss the footnote and don't realize that the principal balance of the loan will actually go up because the accrued interest will be capitalized, that is added to the principal balance. 3) Many do not realize that consolidating their student loans during the grace period with anyone but the direct loan servicer with the Dept. of Education (There are certain qualifying rules in order to consolidate with them.) will result in their losing the rest of their grace period which will result in more interest being charged if they have subsidized loans.

Another thing: This document actually had false information on it. While it was fairly accurate in stating the amount of my consolidated loans, the writers seriously overstated the amount of interest I will pay on the loan with its present lender, the direct loan servicer, and then says that I will save several thousand dollars by transferring the loan to them. On top of that they do not say that I would lose my current interest rate, which in my case would actually result in a loan with a higher interest rate, one that would be a variable rate given the recent laws that were passed. My present consolidated loan is at a low fixed rate, much better than present student loan rates.

Scam, scam, scam. I'm going to use that document in my teaching and report these guys to the Better Business Bureau as well.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:08 PM

Well, as a language teacher I expect that you share my unending and pathological hatred of people who can't form a coherent sentence or be bothered to learn the rules of grammar and syntax. Not to mention learning to spell. Obviously I give people whose first language is not English a lot of slack when it comes to this; you should hear me butcher French! But I extend no such courtesies to people whose first language is English.

Further, I abhor AOLspeak. LOL, ROTFL, BRB are okay for chat rooms when it's real time and you're holding a conversation. But it has no place in more formal writing (and yes, I consider online forums and such formal writing; I know: lame.) The one exception to this is the ever-useful RTFM. I love that one.

As far as all that is concerned, i write COMPLETELY differently on the net and in forums from how i have done in documents and assignments. The reason for this is because i am quite often SAYIN what i am writing, in my head or out loud, so i like what i write to reflect the way i was sayin somit!

Sometimes i even add letters to words or change their spelling cause they dont sound like how i am sayin em.

I dont speak "queens" english, so quite often words are cut off, not all the time but sometimes, depends how fast i'm speakin or how excited i am or just how my sentence is flowin, i quite often say me instead of my for example but then again sometimes i dont it all depends on the rhythem i am speakin in, and i dont mind this either and i am sorry that you do.

I find the rhythems at which people speak quite interesting and i also find the new internet language quite interesting too, language is in a constant process of change, and the change taking place at the mo is due to internet and mobile phones.

I quite like reading the different ways people write things, i always use to say to a couple of dylexic friends that although there are "proper" ways of writing things, they should not be ashamed of the fact that they spell/understand the way things are spelt differently, it might not be functional in many working environments but it is quite unique!

As for Laptop add, i thought his disreguard for the points within your advert were blatant and rude...almost desperate and stupidly so, ha ha! I was "laughing my arse off" (urgh that took alot of typin)! fairplay for postin it, i was very ammused :flowers:

I personally dont reply to any adds that request my attention they are no different from door knocking window salesman, i'll go lookin as and when i need to :inlove: .

Soz about me abbrevs' :trumpet:

NICE ONE!!! nn23 :thumbsup:

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

There are some really funny posts on the internet and sites dedicated to "scamming" the scammers.

Play with them and act stupid.

Get them to send a check. Then tell them you are on two them and they have been scammed.

It costs them up to 40 bucks to send a fake check and whatever over here. If everybody did this there would be fewer of them because they would go broke.

#13 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

ha haaa thats sooo funny i might try that :flowers: , i've sent a letter a couple of times to the competition scams saying that they can take my required 20 postage out of my winnings.

We get a-lot of mobile phone companys giving us spam telesales phonecalls over here dont know if you get those too, but i had one once and unfortunately for the caller i was in one of my "funny" moods, anyway they were doin the same old, free phone with call time charges BLAH BLAH! and i started to grin, the guy seemed quite friendly so i said: "i tell you what, you give me the phone for free, with no call charges, and you got yourself a sale"

he laughed and said "yes madam sarcastically as though he was playing along" and proceded to try to steer the conversation back to his sale. i was like "no, you GIVE, ME a phone for free with no charges and i'll have it" I coulnt believe that he carried on trying to bring me back, i was like "i'm not jokeing" he tried again, it exculated as i got excited and empowered by his difficulty and confusion in reasoning with me. By the end i was demanding heavily, but pausing with hand over reciever so i could let out my hysterical laughter "GIVE MEEE THE PHONE...YOU GIVE IT TO ME FOR FREE!....nOOO call charges...SEND ME THE PHONE" ! :trumpet: :thumbsup: He eventually hung up, the call lasted in all for about 15 minutes and i've never enjoyed a telesales call SO MUCH! :inlove:

I know, i know, your probvably thinkin :), i think i might have had friends there and was probably showing off, but i cant remember, ha ha it was just hilarious!!! :P

Most of the time, i usually try and convince the telesales people to leave their job and they can do much more with their lives...its true! :cool:

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC NOW..i think? he he SORRY

Edited by nn23, 06 March 2007 - 11:48 PM.

#14 deuce23

deuce23

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:18 AM

There are some really funny posts on the internet and sites dedicated to "scamming" the scammers.

Play with them and act stupid.

Get them to send a check. Then tell them you are on two them and they have been scammed.

It costs them up to 40 bucks to send a fake check and whatever over here. If everybody did this there would be fewer of them because they would go broke.

Yeah, but unfortunately there are still a number of people who actually fall for their scams.
Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

#15 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:46 AM

Well lets just hope that at least a few of them have joined BC and get to read cowsgonemadd3's advice :thumbsup: :flowers:

It is crazy crazy though and not always a matter of stupid maybe more just misinformed. i guess the word needs to be spread in a more accessable way than casual chats in BC forum...i wonder how that could be done?

In your face information plastered in web browsers? thats a good idea maybe? i duno...you got any? Or know why this doesnt happen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users