Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Changed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scubab

scubab

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:02 AM

Hi everybody,
I've got an external hard drive and it has always been the E drive, even after unplugging it and taking it to other computers, bringing it back and plugging it in a different USB port. I have a lot of things linked to it as the E:/, including roughly 7000 songs and so on and now it has changed to the F drive. Everything has been unlinked and I can't figure out how to change it back!

Thanks a lot in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:13 AM

Welcome to BC scubab

thisshould do the trick restoring your drive assignment

#3 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

Wow easy enough, except anything before F drive is not available to use. E drive is labled "removable disk", but there isn't anything there! I figured I could change the E to something else and change the F to the E, but the E drive isn't available in the disk management.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

Which program are you using to play your songs?

#5 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:36 AM

I use iTunes, but I haven't run it in weeks (I don't think).

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:52 AM

Try changing the current E drive to something way down the list, like W, then make the F drive E, then you change the W drive to F or whatever. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

Okay, so I think I've got the problem fixed.

My card reader was always the H drive and my External was always my E drive. For some reason my external was F drive and the card reader was E, but the E drive wasn't showing up in Disk Management, so I couldn't change that back to H and I couldn't change the F drive to E since it was reserved. I stuck a memory card into the card reader and THEN it changed the E drive from Removable Disk to EOS_Digital, making it available to change in Disk Management. So I've changed everything back to how it used to be and let's hope it stays that way after a restart.

What would have caused those drives to change like that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users