Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista backup question

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

I have a question about the backup also. I keep getting a message saying the last backup failed because there is no free space on disc D/ recovery. I tried to free some space by disc clean but there was nothing to clean. Sorry, but I don't have a clue how to make space on D/recovery. Are there settings I need to change? The computer has 250 G harddrive and 1 G of RAM. Thanks.

Another message is: Backup did not complete. There is not enough space to save the backup files. Free up disk space or change backup settings.

Edited by socom 004, 06 March 2007 - 05:56 PM.

HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

Where were you saving the backup? On the D: drive? If so, how much space is available on the D drive and how much is used on the drive you are backing up?

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

I'm lost on this one because I don't understand it. As far as I can tell when I started up the computer it was set up that part of the harddrive is D and the main part is C. D is designated as recovery. It's a brand new computer, I just hooked it up a week ago.
HP ©....203 GB free of 226 GB.....0% free.
Recovery (D)..... 257 MB free of 6.25 GB.....90% free.
The comp is an HP a1723w.

Edited by socom 004, 06 March 2007 - 05:22 PM.

Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

That recovery Drive (D:) is going to be way to small to create a backup on. I think that recovery partition is used to restore your computer back to factory defaults.

#5 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

Any ideas what I'm supposed to do? There's a little icon in the tray that says...last backup failed. I know it failed because there isn't enough space on D. I have a small pocket harddrive that holds 40GB. It's a small WD USB 2.0 40GB. Maybe put the D recovery on that? I really don't see any answer pertaining to this problem as for as the "tools" or "maintenance", etc, options. Sorry, I'm not getting this.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

What kind of computer is this?

#7 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

HP Pavillion a1723w. I think I know what happened but I don't know if it can be fixed. When the message comes up for a "backup", the D drive/Recovery is the default setting to hold the backup. The choices were back up to D or to a CD-RW. Since I'm not familiar I hit the "backup" and it backed up but to the D drive. Stupid me. Now I don't know what should or shouldn't be in the recovery. I know it says to be very carefull
whenever you're in the D/Recovery. So I don't know if I should open it and se what's in there or what. Sorry for being so "dumb" about this.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

You can open your D: drive and delete the following folder:

WindowsImageBackup

The above folder is the Complete PC backup folder.

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

You can make a back up on a CD....click CD-RW when asked and insert a CD. Be sure to date it.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#10 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:31 PM

You can open your D: drive and delete the following folder:

WindowsImageBackup

The above folder is the Complete PC backup folder.

I hit computer and properties and it shows the D drive but I can't open it or don't know how. This comes up with no options.
Recovery Partition
WARNING
This area of your harddrive or partition contains files used for your PC recovery.
Do not delete or alter these files.
Any changes to this partition could prevent any recovery later.

That's what it says. I would like to get into it to see if WindowsImageBackup is in there.

I tried this too. I went to BackUp Settings and Configuration. I hit Backup Now. This comes up...Backup now to (D)recovery or DVD-RW-CD. I hit CD. This comes up:
BackUp Files
There is more than 1 disk on your computer. The disk that Windows is installed on will always be included in the backup. You cannot include the disk that you are saving the backup on.
Your backups are being saved to: HP© System, total size 226 GB, used space 26 GB. Recovery(D):total size 26.6 BG, used space 26 GB. It gives the choice of picking one or both. I didn't select any. Here's the last message: You have not selected all of the disks that are on your computer. The files on the disks you did not select will not be included in the backup

Whew! Does this make any sense? Sorry and thanks for working with me.

Edited by socom 004, 09 March 2007 - 05:54 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:58 AM

It sounds to me as if Windows Backup gives you the option of saving to:
1) Your C: drive (the current Windows drive) - this will help you, but if the partition dies you won't be able to recovery
2) Your D: drive (the restore partition for your HP computer) - this is likely full with the HP restore information already. In the even that you want to use it, I'd suggest backing up the Restore Partition to another place first. That way you'll be able to restore your system with HP's tools in the event of a system disaster (more to follow on this)
3) You can backup by attaching a USB drive and send the backups there
4) You can backup to CD/DVD using the writer that's built into most systems.

BUT, you really should consider making a copy of the recovery disks that your computer lets you make. Then you've got everything that you need to restore the computer to factory state. Alternatively, you can order recovery disks from HP - they cost about $20 (shipping included) and arrive in about 4 or 5 days.

Finally, backing up to external media will enable you to recover from almost any crash that may affect the system - so it's worthwhile to invest in it for your peace of mind.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

I went to backup settings and configurations and chose C and made a backup disc. I guess it worked, it said it was complete. So if I want I can go in and put a check in front of D and make a backup disc of it?

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:43 PM

It should work :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

Thanks. I'm still trying to find some info on how to free up some space in the D/Recovery.

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

Does that folder I told you about exist?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users