Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Doesn't Start Up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 grouchyone

grouchyone

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:24 PM

Hi guys, need help.....

My PC has suddenly decided not to start up. It only went up to the stage of opening the XP page and then reboots. This goes on and on......

I'm using Win XP Pro SP1, does this mean that the OS crashed???

What do I do?

Any help is appreciated.

regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:21 AM

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, have a look in the Event Viewer for any error messages and post them back here.

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

And you really should upgrade to SP2.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:31 AM

Also, if you can get in in safe mode.
1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.
This may enable you to get into the desktop in normal mode. perhaps you can then restore or remove an offending driver.

#4 grouchyone

grouchyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:08 AM

i can't even get into safe mode, any more ideas...

#5 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:05 AM

RESTART THE PC AND PRESS THE F8 KEY,
THERE YOU WILL FIND OPTIONS FOR BOOTING SCROLL TO THE SAFE MODE AND PRESS ENTER.
THATS HOW YOU GET INTO SAFE MODE.

JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#6 grouchyone

grouchyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:36 AM

RESTART THE PC AND PRESS THE F8 KEY,
THERE YOU WILL FIND OPTIONS FOR BOOTING SCROLL TO THE SAFE MODE AND PRESS ENTER.
THATS HOW YOU GET INTO SAFE MODE.

thanks jdukze,

i know how to get into safe mode, but not this time....it just bounces off and reboots again

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:46 AM

Try selecting Last Known Good Configuration.

Edited by Budapest, 07 March 2007 - 06:01 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:00 AM

I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM ONCE, THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE MOTHERBOARD.
LEAKING CAPACITORS (TUBELIKE COMPONENTS) HAD CAUSED THE REBOOTS.
TRY OPENING THE PC AND JUST HAVE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE MOTHER BOARD FOR ANY SWOLLEN CAPACITORS WHICH COULD BE LEAKING ALREADY,
IF THIS IS SO I BET YOU JUST HAVE TO REPLACE THE MAINBOARD ITSELF.
:thumbsup:
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#9 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

Before you do any thing, try this, open the case, remove the RAM Chips, use compressed air to blow any dust from the RAM slots, reseat the Ram Chips and make sure that they are seated properly, then try to reboot the PC.

#10 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:33 AM

One more. Boot up with a bootable installation disk and drop back into acommand prompt. (If you still have a dos bootable disk lying around that will help. type fdisk /mbr .remove the disk and reboot. Try safe mode first, but it may boot right into your original setup.

#11 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:41 AM

Before you go crazy and mess it up any further.

Boot with the WinXP CD and enter the Recovery Console to run chkdsk /r.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

You should also run your hard drive manufacturers utility to see if the drive is failing.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

If there is a problem with the drive try to slave it in another computer to retrieve the data or use a Knoppix Live CD may be used to gain access and save the data.

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 08 March 2007 - 11:41 AM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#12 grouchyone

grouchyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

The problem is now solved by re-installing os. Changed bios setting to read cd-drive and slid in xp cd. Only thing is how to get rid of the old windows copy.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:24 AM

Depends on how you installed the new copy of Windows. It's a real PITA to remove the old copy - and it's usually better (and easier) to just start over fresh.

Use the current copy to save all of your data. Then restart with the Windows CD and tell it to format the drive (you'll lose everything when this is done) and install a clean copy.

After sitting through the innumerable Windows Update, you'll probably want to consider using an imaging utility to backup the entire hard drive. This'll let you (the next time) reinstall the entire image (complete with programs and settings) in about 20 minutes. Then you'll only have to update what you've done since you made the image - much less hassle!

Edited by usasma, 10 March 2007 - 07:26 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users