Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Operating System Thats Unable To Recognize Dvdr Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darc_Confusion

Darc_Confusion

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

My computer has recently been having issues with its dvdr drive so I sent it in to be repaired. When I finaly received it back there was a note attached say "Operating System is corrupted and computer needs to be restored with system restore cds. ... DVDR Drive... wont appear in windows due to corruption". I'm not exactly sure what I should do my computer won't recognize the drive for me to actually use the repair cds and its obviously having some problems. It was suggested that I reformat my hard drive but I don't know if thats neccessary. Any ideas?

Updated: My DVD drive is made by Samsung its a CD/DVDW TS-L532R

Edited by Darc_Confusion, 05 March 2007 - 11:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

If the operating system is corrupted (though, to be honest, I'm rather dubious about that "explaination," sounds like "I don't know how to fix it" in disguise) you should still be able o use the restoration CD's as they operate from outside the operating system. Just follow the instructions that came with the CD's to restore your computer.

On the other hand, if you'd rather try to fix it rather than wipe it out and start over, we'd be more than happy to assist!

#3 Darc_Confusion

Darc_Confusion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

I reformatted the computer and It now recognizes the drive. I was unaware that the computer could boot up from the drive even if it "technically" doesn't recognizes it.It seems to be working fine now. Thank you.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

Well, that's the thing. The computer is not Windows, and Windows is not the computer. Windows gets "confused" a lot more easily than the computer does. If the computer has trouble recognizing the drive, then it would be likely that the drive is damaged.

Poor Windows... it tries so hard, but it's not too bright...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users