Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Barebones System

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 topdeputy07

topdeputy07

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hey guys, my old computer just died so I'm building a new system. A friend of mine has a degree in computer science and suggested building a new system starting with a barebones kit. My question is, based on my budget of about $150-$160 for the barebones kit, which of these processors is "best": AMD Sempron 3300+, Pentium D 805, Pentium 4 630, Pentium 4 540, Intel Celeron D 352, or AMD Athlon 64 3800? All of these are in my price range at pricewatch.com, but what is fastest? The guy at the computer shop said AMD's are better because they are 64 bit, but I don't have hardware specific expertise to decide. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:04 PM

AMD 64 3800 by all means. When I build computers for customers i ONLY use AMD, they are much more reliable and stable than Intels. Plus, like the guy said, it's 64-bit.

AMD all the way :thumbsup:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:43 PM

Intel Celeron D 352 = 3.20 GHz, 100 million transistors
Pentium D 805 (64 bit) = Dual-Core 2.66GHz, 230 million transistors
AMD Sempron 3300 (variant of the Athlon 64) = 2.200 GHz, 63 million transistors
AMD Athlon 64 3800 = 2.4GHz, 68.5 million transistors

Hands down, based on speed and processing power, the Pentium D 805 is the top of that list. Without knowing what motherboards those were being put in, that is the best 'comparison' that I can do. Things like the motherboard and memory are all factors that can effect performance.

I found these stats on various websites, and can in no way guarantee that they are 100% accurate. I also didn't consider cache size.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:27 AM

The pentium D 805 is probably the best of these four processors.

If the AMD 3800 is a dual core (3800x2), it would be better than the rest.

Please give us some links to these barebones systems.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 topdeputy07

topdeputy07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

Here is a link to one I am interested in. Should I upgrade the motherboard (or anything else)? Cost is definitely an issue, but I want a decent system. I want to spend total under $400 without the monitor of course. I have an agp video card, sound card, ethernet card, monitor, and dvd drive already. I use it at home just for internet, games, video, word processing, etc. Thanks!
http://www.portatech.com/catalog/viewitem....3565&O=4071

Edited by topdeputy07, 06 March 2007 - 11:08 AM.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

You can check this site HERE at tomshardware.com to pit different processors against one another. The link should bring to you the AMD 64 3800+ agianst the Pentium D 805.

My recommendation is to save a bit more and get the core2 duo (intel), the site you provided lists the E6300 (1.86ghz). On the chart that I linked to, the E6400 (2.13ghz, which is the slowest core2 cpu that this chart lists) is a lot faster than the Pentium D 805 (see chart HERE).

Granted, it's more than you want to spend, but you'll get more speed out of it and it'll save you from having to upgrade in the future, too. The core2 is also able to overclock well, too, even on a stock cooling fan.

If the core2 is out of the question, you can use that chart that I linked to to see different results for benchmarks (games, processing images, etc.etc.).

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the link.

I would also try to get the Core 2 Duo and one of the ASUS, Intel, or MSI boards, making sure that you have DDR2 support.

Using the Intel board and the Barebones w/ Intel Core2 Duo 2.13GHz - 1066MHz FSB (Model E6400) [add $304.98] I came up witgh a price of $381.98
Hope this helps you

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 March 2007 - 04:18 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users