Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Added Another 1gb Of Ram--adjust Pagefile And Virtual Memory...?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

Hello Folks!!

Saw and heard too many divergent "opinions". I know BC has the proper solution.....

Just added a 2nd 1GB stick to the original 512MB RAM bringing the total to 2.5GB for my Compaq Presario running WindowsXP-Home. Shouldn't the Page File and Virtual Memory be adjusted?

Currently, the settings are as follows as observed by:
  • Rt click My Computer
  • Properties
  • Advanced
  • In Performance, click Settings
  • Click Advanced
  • In Virtual Memory click Change.-- It is indicated here that the "Total paging file for all drives" is 2046MB

There is 122 GB of "Storage Memory" available

Under "Paging file size for selected ęDrive"
- Initial 2046MB
- Max 4092MB

Under "Total Paging file for all.."
- Min allowed 2MB
- Recommended 3741MB
- Current Allocated 2046MB

Should these settings be adjusted for the proper set-up.....and how?

P. S. It was "born" with 512MB. The apparent original set-up was (2) 256MB sticks as this current addition of the 2nd 1GB stick used the last slot....????? I am "over the top" as it is now, but if another stick were to be added, a 256 would have to be removed. Sounds like to me that both 256's should be removed as they sound like they work together---Seems to be fodder for another topic..If at all.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 March 2007 - 08:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:59 PM

Your virtual memory should be 1.5 times the physical memory. Your computer should be set to automatically adjust to the added RAM. For more information and instructions for adjusting the settings go here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

Hello Again and Thanks a GIG!!!.....Hmmmm....

That article and you were of quite a bit of assistance. I set the min at 3741MB and the max to 11250MB.

But what do you mean when you said that the computer should be set to automatically adjust the amount of RAM...? I though it was just set i. e. the min and max.....or do you mean that it will adjust itself BETWEEN the 2 settings as you go along??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users