Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

C++ Compiler

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

Hey, does anyone know a free and easy to user C++ compiler that I could use? I'm now learning C++ lol. Thanks for any help. Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:54 PM

My favorite

I don't know that it is any easier than any other IDE, but it is free. :thumbsup:

#3 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hey, I downloaded the IDE and it works fine. Thanks. I don't suppose you know any good books that I could learn C++ from. I been looking on amazon but I don't know which one I should buy. Dan

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

That sort of depends on how much programming experience you have. For someone that already understands basic program flow and data structures, I prefer the Deitel and Deitel books. For beginners, I don't know of any right off the bat. Amazon in pretty good about rating their books. Are there any specifically that you are considering?

#5 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

I was considering "Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example". Yea' I don't know much about c++ but once you learn one language they come alot easier to you after if you know what I mean. I ordered the book today after reading reviews it seemed to contain alot of information.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

Learning C++ won't help you much with Perl or Lisp. :thumbsup: I'm pretty proficient in Java, but C confuses the heck out of me. C++ still causes me fits.

When you are learning a language, you are learning two things at the same time. First, you are learning the syntax and structure of a language. Second, you are learning basic concepts pf programming. Learning C++ is not the same as learning how to program, and learning to program is not the same as learning to program. In addition, C++ is an Object Oriented Language, so you have the additional task of learning about a programming architecture.

Good luck in your endeavors.

#7 AMAMH

AMAMH

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for the info I was looking for a C++ compiler
but I was wondering:
What is the G++ compiler provided with GNU and does it need GCC to be installed first
in general:
what is G++ , GCC , Mingw

#8 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

G++ and Mingw are compilers, and GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection, but usually refers to the C compiler within it.
Most Linux machines come with GCC, but not G++. To get it on Linux if you have an internet connection, type this in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install g++

If you don't have the Internet, you'll have to go online and find the packages manually.
If you're on Windows, you cannot use GCC.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

sudo apt-get install g++

Of course that is assuming that the distro has that particular package manager. :thumbsup:

#10 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

Lol! I knew my attempt at being Linux-pro would backfire on me.
OK! If your Linux OS is DEBIAN-BASED, you can use that!
Happy? :D

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, that happens to me about every time I try to give *nix advice too... :thumbsup:

#12 AMAMH

AMAMH

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

G++ and Mingw are compilers, and GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection, but usually refers to the C compiler within it.
Most Linux machines come with GCC, but not G++. To get it on Linux if you have an internet connection, type this in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install g++

If you don't have the Internet, you'll have to go online and find the packages manually.
If you're on Windows, you cannot use GCC.

You said that I cannot use GCC on windows , but actually I'm using it now plus G++ through Dev-C++ .
but there are always :thumbsup: problems ...
I cannot find the latest version of GCC and G++ for Dev-C++

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users