Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Magic 7.0

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dtietje

dtietje

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

I just tried to use Partition Magic 7.0 and instead of doing what I wanted, it just deleted the drive letter of one of my partitions. I have a 400g harddrive which is partitioned into C,D,E,F. It was a work computer, so it was already partitioned that way. Anyway, I wanted to incorporate D into C and make C bigger. Well, it didn't do any of this, and just deleted the partition letter for drive F. The F drive doesn't show up under My Computer anymore, and when I go to Disk Management, it shows the drive (System type, status, capacity, free space, etc.), but it won't let me do anything with it. It just says "Unknown Partition". If I right click on it, everything is gray'd out except "help" and "delete partition". So it looks like the partition is there and there are files on it, I just can't access it. I think the problem was with the harddrive being so big for this version of Partition Magic, but at this point it doesn't matter.

Is there anyway to recover this partition and it's contents? I know ultimately I may just have to reinstall windows, but I'd rather not have to.

Thanks,
Dave

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 March 2007 - 05:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:56 PM

First of all download PC Inspector and see whether this will do the trick. After you have tried that ,without success, we will need to find other ways to retreive your data rather than go about restoring your partitions.

#3 dtietje

dtietje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:15 PM

Unfortunately, I had already tried another program to fix the problem. It fixed the missing partition, but it jumbled over half of the files, so I saved what I could and wiped the partition clean. My original issue was that the copy of XP I used automatically partitioned the harddrive so that the C drive only has 12gigs, which is not enough for all my programs. The other partitions are D and E, which have 2g a piece, and the rest is on F, about 359g. I'm trying to merge D and E into C, and maybe take a few gigs from F, but it doesn't look like Partition Magic will do anything over 300g.

Also, when the program fixed the missing partition (F), it left about 5.98g unallocated, and I'd like it back.

Any suggestions?

Edited by dtietje, 05 March 2007 - 11:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users