Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's In A Case?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

piece by piece i am acquiring all the parts to build a new computer that will stand the tests of time :thumbsup: (or maybe a few years!)

the next piece to the puzzle is the case. i plan on getting nextgen gfx cards (SLI?Crossfire?), so space and cooling are at the forefront of my considerations.

thus, do i need a full tower or will a mid tower suffice?

what are some good manufacturers to choose from?

any specific models that you have had good experience with?

thank you all for any direction you can provide.

salud,
bg04

ps-i would like to spend less that $100 on the case.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

I'm not big on fancy cases with windows and all so I'll leave that to every one else. Other than roominess, a full tower is better than a mid tower because it's bigger, the main thing is the proper placement of the cabling. Keeping them short and tucked out of the way will help airflow. One thing I do is to remove the perforated sheet metal that's in front of the fans and use a wire screen guard. Probably doesn't do much, but I feel like it does. Don't forget that most of the latest and greatest video cards take up 2 slots. Also don't buy a case just because it comes with a power supply. You're better off to buy one
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 05 March 2007 - 05:02 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, a mid tower should be fine for you. Really, above a certain point, a better case isn't going to help you, or just isn't worth the money (cases over 200$?!?! wth?!?)

I highly recommend this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811119068
Good brands as far as I know: thermaltake, coolermaster, lian-li. . .lots of others. Just check the reviews like and other product and you should be fine. :thumbsup:

Also, be sure that the case fits your motherboard (atx, microatx, whatever).

Posted Image

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

I prefer the cases that have thumb screws to take off the side. Some of the cheap ones have regular screws and the whole case comes off. I like the side to come off by itself and NO screws inside. There are rails that hold the drives so I don't need a screwdriver to change things out.

I agree with above about getting your own power supply, you don't always get a reliable one when it comes with the case. And make sure you get case fans, my last case did not have any come with it, but they are only about $10. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

thanks for the replies. i agree about the psu, i have a new one for the case. it is modular, so that should allow better airflow.

ocelot, i really like that CoolerMaster case. and for the price it is a pretty sweet deal. i think i am going to purchase it and start putting together what pieces i have.

thanks all for the info.

salud,
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

I prefer the cases that have thumb screws to take off the side. Some of the cheap ones have regular screws and the whole case comes off. I like the side to come off by itself and NO screws inside. There are rails that hold the drives so I don't need a screwdriver to change things out.

I agree with above about getting your own power supply, you don't always get a reliable one when it comes with the case. And make sure you get case fans, my last case did not have any come with it, but they are only about $10. :thumbsup:

Yyou can buy the thumbscrews for a couple of bucks. It is a nice touch
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users