Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Clean Now?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BikoBoo

BikoBoo

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been on this site for the past 24 hours (literally) trying to get my computer cleaned up. I had Outerinfo and a few others, but have always managed to clean my system up fairly well on my own. This time, though, I needed some serious help, and I found this site when I did a search for Outerinfo and how to eliminate it.

On a scale of 1-5 (with 5 being the geekiest), I'd probably rate a 3.5 as far as my knowledge of computers goes, so feel free to give advanced answers if need be. If I don't understand something, I'll let ya know! :thumbsup:

I started my 24 hour clean-fest with my usual mode of attack, which was to stop everything I was doing (right in the middle of posting a blog, no less! LOL), grab updates for Norton and Spybot, and throw my puter into safe mode. After running Norton and Spybot, they only detected a few small problems (neither of which was Outerinfo :flowers: ), and I fixed them. Then I went through add/remove to see if there was anything there I didn't recognize, and that is how I found Outerinfo. Having absolutely NO knowledge of this problem, I tried to remove it, and of course, couldn't, so I went back to normal mode and started an internet search about it, which is how I landed here. I searched the site for removal instructions, and was sent to the "HijackThis" portion of the forums. Realizing that most of the stuff was geared towards individual users, I did my best to follow all of the instructions for removal, and thought I had it licked, until my system started to bog down seriously.

I then went through all the steps listed as necessary for becoming a new member and cleaning out my system before posting a topic here. I now have 4 new programs on my computer (ATF Cleaner, AVG A/S, Ad-Aware, and HijackThis). With all those new programs, I feel a bit overwhelmed, but it's nothing I can't handle.

So now my question is this: can someone run me through what you need to determine if I'm clean or not, and help me figure it out?

On a side note, I will be spending the remainder of my week helping my mother, who is 1000 miles away from me, get Spydawn (and a host of other problems) off of her computer, and will most likely be sending her here for help when I'm done with her, so the more I learn here, the more I can help her out.

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if this post was overly long!
Shelli

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:15 PM

Hi BikoBoo,First welcome to BC
I'd suggest you run this one more scan tool it's very effective. Then have the HJT team look and see if you are clean
Download,install,update then reboot into safe mode and scan.
Use the Free Home user version
http://www.superantispyware.com/.........

Then you should post the HJT log here by clicking New Topic
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ after following these instructions for posting it.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Once posted DO NOT make any further changes to PC until the team has looked at it and responded.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 BikoBoo

BikoBoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply!

How many different anti-spyware programs can or should I have on my computer at once?

And, once I send the HJT log, you said to not make any changes to my system until I hear back from someone. Does this include not surfing the net? And how long does it typically take for a response?

Thanks again!!
Shelli

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

As long as they don't have real time protection on and they are not the rogue list you are fine. Check the freeware section ( viz my sig) for very nice alternatives. Surfing is not a problem as long as you don't start adding or removing programs in the course of you getting help from our HJT team it is fine.

Also check this thread for basic instructions

#5 BikoBoo

BikoBoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

Thank you again!! I will post when dinner is done, and the kid is asleep! :-)
Shelli

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

Have you run the Superantispyware to see if it finds and removes Outerinfo?
You should also give it a run on mom's

FYI a tutorial for Spydawn removal is here
How to remove SpyDawn
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users