Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Complete Scandisk, Even In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ccv

ccv

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

I started up in Safe Mode and was able to Defrag (through System Tools), but no such luck with the Scan Disk utility.

It took about an hour to work through approx. 200,000 of more than 2 million "clusters," during which time it stopped and restarted repeatedly. After 10 restarts a message popped up saying that it was happening because other Windows programs were running, and did I want to continue? I replied yes, it kept at it, then a short while later I got an error message (a general protection fault, I think) and that was as far as it would go.

I thought that Safe Mode was a "bare bones" version of Windows with little or nothing going on in the background, but clearly something's happening on my system that's preventing Scan Disk from working properly.

Any ideas what that might be? THANK YOU!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:18 PM

Sounds like you have scandisk set to the thorough scan and not the standard. That is why it is checking clusters and taking a long time.

Safe mode IS bare bones. Explorer is the only thing loading. If you are truly in Safe Mode it will say so in all 4 corners and look bad (16 color mode). Tap F8 or hold down the LEFT CTRL key on startup then select Safe Mode from the startup list.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 ccv

ccv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

Yes, it was definitely in Safe Mode.

And yes, it was running a thorough scan, not a standard one. Is thorough unnecessary?

How does that sort of scan compare to the Norton one that's set to run once a week on my PC? I thought they were different (scan disk for system & file problems, Norton for viruses) but there's so much I don't know, it's scary. I don't know where to begin!

Edited by ccv, 05 March 2007 - 02:43 PM.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

Yes, it was definitely in Safe Mode.

And yes, it was running a thorough scan, not a standard one. Is thorough unnecessary?

You can do a full Scandisk in DOS its quicker that Windows. Just start your comp up whilst holding down the Ctrl key and choose Command Prompt Only from the menu.

Just type Scandisk. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

The complete, or thorough scan, not only checks for software errors, but also checks each sector on your hard drive for physical problems. This read/write process as you have found out takes a very long time, especially if your hard drive is over 20 Gigs, and there are better applications out there that will do this in less time.
Use scandisk in regular mode, and be sure you check the option to "fix all errors found."

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users