Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msconfig, Unable To Enter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 salem

salem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:51 PM

I want to check/clean my registry. After hitting the appropriate keystrokes and typing in "msconfig" I get a window telling me I must be logged on as the "Administrtor." I am logged on as the "Administrator." The system shows that I am the "Administrator." Any advice will be appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Edited title and descriptor for clarity. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 March 2007 - 03:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

do you have any other accounts? go My Computer > Control Panel > Users and check to make sure you are the administrator
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 salem

salem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

Checked. I am the only user and I am listed as the Admin.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

Try creating a new user account with administrator privileges. Then, log into that new account and see if it lets you into msconfig.

If it does, then something's amiss in your original account (especially if it lets you create a new account with administrator privileges!) If it doesn't, then something's amiss elsewhere (something's amiss either way, I guess!)

Have you tired booting in Safe mode and then using msconfig?

What version of Windows XP are you using? Professional or Home, what Service Pack is installed?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 05 March 2007 - 05:48 PM.

#5 salem

salem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

I've tried creating a new user account. Didn't work. I tried logging in while in "safe mode." Didn't work. I have Windows XP with Serv. Pak 2. I'v0 etried everything I can think of the past couple of months and cannot figure it out. Thanks anyway.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

Try this one Nr.54
Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry PLease look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:50 AM

Hi salem.
SP2 sometimes can miss copying over a file or two. You may find it in C:\Windows\ServicePack Files\i386.
The msconfig.exe file should be located in your C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries folder. You can copy and paste it , otherwise go to the link below and download the msconfig.exe Windows XP version file and place it in the C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries folder
http://www.techadvice.com/specs/files_st1.asp?fnid=3398288

Edited by uhaligani, 06 March 2007 - 12:57 AM.

#8 salem

salem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

Uhaliqani: Tried your suggestion. Still get same window telling me I must be logged on as the "Administrator." Thanks anyway.

#9 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:31 AM

OK. I think, if you have not already, that you need to get into being a deeper Administrator, one of the quirks of Vista's protection.
Go to RUN. Type Control UserPasswords2
Select Advanced and Advanced again. Go to users and enable the Administrator account. Log off and log on again as the Administrator, which you will now see is available.

Edited by uhaligani, 09 March 2007 - 02:14 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

You've tried most of the fixes for this without success. I'd think that you should try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ ) and if that doesn't cure it, try a repair install of XP (this'll keep your programs and data while repairing the system files): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

But all bets are off if there's a virus causing this - so I'd suggest this free, online scan to double check your current protection: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users