Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advised To Run Chkdsk Facility But Cant

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dennilson

dennilson

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

Could anyone advise me; when I attempt to access any of my programmes I get the error message (yellow triangle) "The file C:\temporary internet files \ content.IE5\desktop.ini is corrupt and unreadable please run chkdsk facility."

I have attempted to run the chkdsk facility from the run facility in the start menu. It informs me that it cannot complete this check while some programmes are in use, it then gives me the option to have it run when my system reboots. I have opted for this process several times, but it has not cured the problem. Could anyone more technically aware please advise me as to the best course of action. Many thanks Tom

I am running windows XP Home. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Try this:

1. Click the Start Menu then click Run...
2. In the Run box, type command the press <Enter>
3. You will see a black box come up with the Current Windows Version printed in white text and the string: C:\Documents and Settings\user where user is your account's name.
4. Type the following exactly:
chkdsk C: /r /x
that's chkdsk(space)C:(space)/r(space)/x
5. Press <Enter>
6. You will get a message that says it cannot continue and asks you if you want to schedule a check on the next boot. Type the letter Y and press enter.
7. A message will tell you that the volume will be check the next time the system restarts.
8. Type exit and press <Enter> to close the black box.
9. Restart your computer.

#3 dennilson

dennilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:55 AM

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply, I have tried this option however nothing happens. I have a message on the black screen which says "The type of the file system is NTFS, cannot lock current drive. The yellow triangle appears to be relevant to all of my applications now. All of my shortcuts to my programmes accessed through my desktop seem to have this error message, though it is only affecting a couple of them. I wonder if my file system is FAT which would need different instructions. Any help accepted Tom

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

try to do a repair with sfc/scannow and have your XP disc ready since it will need to copy those files from the disc. Here is an excellent tutorial on that subject.

Edited by fozzie, 06 March 2007 - 08:58 AM.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

Egad! You've got a bad case of gremlins, methinks.

Do what fozzie says, it's a good idea. Fozzie's pretty smart.

If that doesn't work. Perhaps we could try running checkdisk from the Recovery Console?

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. When the Select Drive box pops up make sure the C: drive is showing and click OK. Click OK to run Disk Cleanup. See if you still get the file corruption error. If you do I will guide you to remove it manually.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 dennilson

dennilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hi, Thanks for the replies, I have tried the Scannow and the accessories option, but to no avail. What I have noticed is that I am now being bombarded with ads, I tend to think I have a serious virus which my system has not detected. Funnily enough reg mechanic programme is showing hardly any errors. Dont know what to do, running with half a system at the moment, very annoying and bombarded with ads and strange downloads

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

If you can, try going into safe mode and running all you virus/spyware/adwale/malware scanners through the whole system. Perhaps whatever's infecting you will be caught and dealt with.

#9 dennilson

dennilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

It seems to have worked, detected virusburst again, could not remove it but it appears to be inactive. Have managed to run chkdsk using xp cd and it appears to have done the trick. Still have this dormant virusburst programme though and my system is prone to freezing now that I have run the chkdsk. Could be a lucky escape. Thanks for your advice chaps

#10 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:56 AM

Removal guide for virusbursters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users