Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Cuts Off Broadband Users

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

Windows Vista PC users are experiencing difficulties with some broadband ISPs’ installation discs, with Virgin, Tiscali and Orange customers struggling to connect using Microsoft’s new operating system.

A spokesperson for Virgin Media told us: "This is currently the case with many ISPs. The situation with Virgin Media’s broadband service Vista compatibility isn’t a specific one”.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8579

There are links provided in the article for users of these ISPs to obtain assistance if experiencing problems.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

There are other ISPs who are not Vista-compatible at this time. Before installing Vista, Members should make sure their ISP supports Vista.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:25 AM

We're having some problems with one of the cable ISP's in my area of the USA - still can't figger it out, but it most likely relates to a problem with IPv6 or to a firewall issue. The ISP doesn't use any custom software to connect - so the compatibility issues are avoided there.

For local ISP software issues we recommend that the user contact the ISP and have them walk them through a manual setup of their connection without using the software.

The local hardware workaround is to install a router, that seems to handle the connection problems adequately. But, the tech that I talk to at the ISP is trying several things to fix it without the workaround (and added expense).

The first thing is to check the traffic with all firewall software disabled - if that doesn't stop the problem, then the next recommendation is to disable IPv6. I still haven't received any feedback if this is working or not - and will post more as it becomes available. BTW - thanks to RandomUser for these suggestions! :huh:

Edited by usasma, 06 March 2007 - 06:26 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

I have heard of Vista having problems with some Cisco routers and/or hubs to a problem with the routers' software. Connection resets happen more frequently.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users