Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting Bitmap Files To Jpeg Files

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hi all, I'm trying to convert bitmap files to jpeg and have downloaded ReaJPEG's free trial for this purpose. It is very simple to use, but the images come out very grainy. Is this common with this type of software, or is there better software?

I have a friend who at the age of fifty has decided that she would like to learn how to use a computer. To help her I'm putting together a small tutorial for some of the basic functions, like getting and sending email, turning the computer off using the start, shutdown method, etc. I'm using screenshots to illustrate it and am taking the images from MSPaint. In order to paste the images to the document I'm sending the image to a email, mailing this to myself as the image doesn't show prior to sending, copying the image from the email and saving as a picture, copying it from there and pasting it in the document. Yep, this would make Rube Goldberg proud. The method may be convoluted, but the image is much clearer than that of the downloaded program.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

I'm using W2k Pro.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:26 AM

If you open the bitmap files in Microsoft Paint and then go File, Save as you should be able to save them as .jpg files.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:40 AM

Trying to read, and make sense of, the process you are going through, makes my head hurt. :thumbsup:
If you could you explain it in a step-by-step process, instead of one continuous sentence, maybe we could help you save some steps.

For image conversions, and other basic image editing tasks, I use IrfanView.
It's a free program, that's easy to use.
You can find several tutorials on the basic functions, in this part of the forum:
Images, Image Editing, Image Viewing
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:04 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Budapest, when I open mspaint and go to file, and then save as, I have the option of Save as type which offers these choices.

24-bit Bitmap
Monochrome Bitmap
16 Color Bitmap
256 Color Bitmap

Perhaps XP offers that option, but it doesn't look like W2k Pro does.

tg1911, sorry for the headache. I was actually trying to make the explanation as short as I could. I'll try to make it a little more succinct in the future. I know that there are readers that will not read a thread that is lengthy.

I do thank you for the link, I will download and try it. I will also check out the tutorials.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:59 AM

I am not sure the E-mailing process, or rather, round-trip is either beneficial to the quality of the final picture, or necessary. I can understand changing bitmaps to jpegs to save bytes, but you will need to experiment with the settings of the applications you are using to get a decent dump of a screen.

An alternative to doing a Windows screen print is to use one of the many freeware applications, such as Gadwin's Print Screen (which allows you to select a portion of the screen image to save, for example) and use Irfanview to directly convert the bitmap to jpeg.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the response John,

This technique is taking the circuitous route to get to the finished product, but the quality is very good. The efforts are well worth going for by comparison to the quality of the image made by ReaJPEG, the print was so grainy that it couldn't be read. Later today when I have more time I will check out Irfanview, I downloaded it last night and need to read the instructions. I will also look into Gadwin's Print.

All I need to do is to get a screen shot into an office document, and would fall over backwards with pleasure if I can find a quicker method to accomplish this with the same quality that I'm getting from the circuitous method.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:48 AM

Irfanview also has the ability to capture Screenshots.
Open Irfanview, and hit the C key.
That will open your Capture Setup window.
Here's where you set the options for your screen capture:
Capture Area
Capture Method
Capture Options
Saving Method

Under the Saving Method, I just set it to automatically open the capture in Irfanview, do what editing I need to do, then save it in the format I want.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:32 AM

Hi tg1911

I had the time this evening to read the instructions and play around with it. Unfortunately the resolution is the same as it was with ReaJPEG. This means by the time it is added to a word document the text in the image is no longer legible.

It has been suggested from another source that I try converting the screenshot to a PNG file as it compresses better.

Who woulda thunk I would be getting such an education in the process of trying to give someone else an education. :thumbsup:

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:04 AM

I don't see why you can't read the text.
I just ran a test with this image, and I have no problem reading it.

Posted Image

This image was captured at 1069 x 465, using Irfanview.
Then I reduced it to 800 x 348.
Then when saving it, I reduced the Save quality to 80, and saved it.
The image went from 1.43 MB to 37.64 KB in size.

Ths image, is after I applied Sharpen, to it:

Posted Image

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:19 AM

You probably will be wanting to do tutorials and other help tutorials using Wink v2.0. You can get it at:

http://www.debugmode.com

it's FREE, and it'll create video tutorials for you, along with your voice... giving it a personal touch, and making the tutorial more understandable to the student. Plus it'll save you countless hours or such trying to prepare tutorials manually. If you use your voice in it, you won't have to type any text files nor copy/paste images.

And if the person is to recreate buttons, hover images or whatever you're trying to show, you can zip up the images separately, but let the video tutorial do the rest of the work of explaining it.

Just an idea.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:35 AM

Thanks tg1911, I did notice the sharpen feature and it does make a difference. I had not tried applying one of these images to a document until a couple of minutes ago, and the image is much clearer in the document. I think we have a winner. :thumbsup:

Hi Walkman, I should have the tutorials done tomorrow, I'm only covering a few basic like getting and sending email, simple maintenance and updates, and how to turn off the computer without using the power button...no matter how much faster it is. :huh:

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

Glad to hear Irfanview is working for you.
One of my favorite programs.
I doubt if a day goes by, that I don't use it for something. :thumbsup:
For such a small, and easy to use program, it has a lot of functionality.

What type of documents are you trying to make?
Have you considered something like CutePDF Writer?

Portable Document Format (PDF) is the de facto standard for the secure and reliable distribution and exchange of electronic
documents and forms around the world. CutePDF Writer (formerly CutePDF Printer) is the free version of commercial PDF creation
software. CutePDF Writer installs itself as a "printer subsystem". This enables virtually any Windows applications (must be able to
print) to create professional quality PDF documents - with just a push of a button!

Wink, like Walkman suggested, is another option.
It's fairly easy to use, and fun to play with. :huh:
That's what I used for the Irfanview tutorials, that include a video.

Edited by tg1911, 06 March 2007 - 09:51 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

Once again thanks for all of the help and information. It's nice to have friends that will take the time to share their knowledge. It is also nice to have new toys to play with. :thumbsup:

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

24-bit Bitmap
Monochrome Bitmap
16 Color Bitmap
256 Color Bitmap

Well I've just opened up Win2k Pro and I can save files as bmp, gif or jpg. :thumbsup:

If you have MS Office you can install Photo Editor that will convert all sorts of picture formats.

Edited by Keithuk, 06 March 2007 - 02:14 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

24-bit Bitmap
Monochrome Bitmap
16 Color Bitmap
256 Color Bitmap

Well I've just opened up Win2k Pro and I can save files as bmp, gif or jpg. :thumbsup:

If you have MS Office you can install Photo Editor that will convert all sorts of picture formats.

Congratulations! :huh: My M$paint still only has the options to Save as type that I have previously listed. Dang, some how your magic didn't work. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users