Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spydawn And After

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldog

oldog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:36 AM

Bought new computer installed Norton System works and Antivirus,first time on line updated Norton. After about one hour my screen became cluttered with varius windows, trying to sell me a long list of security ware.

I Downloaded Spybot and Ad-aware which did a fantastic job removing all the screens, leaving me with only the flashing blue/red icon down by the clock..selling Spydawn and shooting of security alert balloons .

Have downloaded SmitfraudFix and the instructions for use but have not yet run it.

My concern is that neither Norton, Spybot or Ad-Aware pick up the infection when I do a full scan. Symantec were very evasive about the problem but have promised a no charge discussion as they are looking into the problem at the moment!!

If I run SmitfraudFix , what is to prevent re infection as soon as I go on line ?

After cleaning up should I install a programme such as SecureClean or similar?

I am on a learning curve, as my last computer was trouble free with only winxp firewall and norton antivirus,over a four year period.

Paddy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:24 AM

Please follow this tutorial by our Grinler to remove Spydawn from your system. As far as Symantec and other applications not picxking up on Spydawn :

Writers of malware have become very litterate when it comes down to hiding their applications for the well known applications. It is due to the efforts of very few that we get to know about these foistware.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

No need to purchase Secure Clean. Ccleaner does the same thing for free. It will clean temporary files, logs and cookies. Has other functions as well.
Would suggest you also get a firewall other than Windows firewall. There are a few very good firewalls for free.
Most malware such as Spydawn require some action by the user to get installed on your computer. Such as clicking on links in IM's, emails or websites and opening email attachments. There are sites on the web where you can get infected by just visiting them. Those are known as drivebys. Downloading free screensavers or using P2P programs to download from unknown sources are two other ways that you get infected.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Below is a link to a list of free software products such as firewalls
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

To avoid a lot of malware, installing another browser such as Firefox with NoScript extension will prevent driveby infections.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 oldog

oldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:04 AM

Thanks guys

Spydawn removed as suggested.
Have downloaded Ccleaner.

Great forum