Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Sharing?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Samual3110

Samual3110

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

Hey guys. just a quick Q
what is the best file sharing program to use???

Moderator Edit: Edited topic title and description for clarity. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 March 2007 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

A couple of links to check out:
Is That Filesharing Program Infected?
Clean/Infected P2P Programs
Risks of File-Sharing Technology
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:46 AM

I like to use uTorrent.

Whenever you download a file always scan it with your anti-virus before opening it.

Also check this site out:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

I use Azureus.

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

I use standard Bittorrent.

Like stated above make sure all files are scanned before opening. All Zip files are extracted even deep routed ones. Check all files for viruses.

P2P is a major if not the biggest contributer to computer viruses.
Posted Image

#6 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:00 AM

The programs arent safe at all to use. Even the anonymous p2p ones can get you into alot of trouble if "they" analyze your "traffic" or entry/exit nodes. What you need to do is download the " OFF system " from http://off-system.com/ This is the way to accomplish what your trying to do without fear or without breaking the law. RIAA and MPAA know they are screwed , theres NOTHING they can do. They lose We win !!!. Of course id still never give up PeerGuardian2. So spread the word and enjoy. -RAY-

#7 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:46 AM

I use Emule for P2P
Any P2P has vulnerabilities and won't guarantee 100% safety
So i strongly suggest to have an active Real Time Protection on the system so if incase the file is malware,it will be automatically quarantined after downloaded before it even cause harm to your computer :thumbsup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:25 AM

In general the P2P programs aren't the issue - it's the content that's downloaded that causes the problem. For those who still want to use them, I'd suggest some of the paid music download services. "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

Really All file sharing programs are dangerous for a number of reasons.
-Viruse,Spyware,Malware etc...
If youre really looking for a good file sharing program I would recomend Shareaza if your familiar with Filesharing or Limewire if your a begginer.

Shareaza:
-Be sure that your connected to all the networks for best results
LimeWire:
-Get Limewire,not Frostwire. Frostwire is good and all but its basically the same thing as Limewire and if you had both you would just be cluttering your desktop.
Both:
-Before downloading any movies or games or any applications right click on the file and get a "bitzi" ticket.,if its a good file by people ratings, go ahead and download it but if its not then dont.
-Always look for More sources as obviously it will make your downloads go faster.
-Be sure to check how much each file is before you download it, obviously theres not gonna be a movie out there with a file size of 30kb......

Limewire: www.limewire.com

Shareaza: www.shareaza.com

Have fun downloading and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

#10 xcr0okedx

xcr0okedx

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

i use limewire for my basic downloads

you can find ANYTHING on limewire ... and believe me when i say anything

I have never had a problem with limewire either IMO its the best fshare prog out there

Posted Image

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

From what I've seen of Limeware, it's a good, solid program. But, as xcr0okedx says, you can find ANYTHING - and this includes viruses and other assorted malware. Always, always scan the downloads with a good antivirus program before opening them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 massimo727

massimo727

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

The programs arent safe at all to use. Even the anonymous p2p ones can get you into alot of trouble if "they" analyze your "traffic" or entry/exit nodes. What you need to do is download the " OFF system " from http://off-system.com/ This is the way to accomplish what your trying to do without fear or without breaking the law. RIAA and MPAA know they are screwed , theres NOTHING they can do. They lose We win !!!. Of course id still never give up PeerGuardian2. So spread the word and enjoy. -RAY-

What does OFF system do for you? when I tried to download it NOD32 pop up giving me a warning.

#13 xcr0okedx

xcr0okedx

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

Other than Limewire, if you have alot of music files and dont mind sharing them with others Soul Seek (www.slsknet.org) is a great program ... lots of DJs use it so you will be able to find almost anything you want on there

its almost entirely dedicated to music so there is very little chance that there are viruses but ... as always ... scan everything you download

Edited by xcr0okedx, 02 July 2007 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

I use Bittorrent for the big things (like ISO files) and Frostwire (since it works better with Linux then Limewire, )for all the small things

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users