Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes Won't Work, And Quicktime Won't Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 technophobic

technophobic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

My iTunes stopped working all of a sudden. Checked iTunes website and was told to access QuickTime through my Control panel. However, when I try to do that I get the error message

"An exception occurred while trying to run
"C:\WINDOWS\ system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\QuickTime.cpl",QuickTime"

This led me to think that my iTunes problem originates with QuickTime, so I decided to uninstall my QuickTime and reinstall it.
However whenever I use add or remove programs to uninstall I get the message "Fatal Error during installation"

I would appreciate any help. I have HijackThis and CCleaner and can post my registry log if it will help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

I have had numerous problems with itunes and have found advice in the itunes for windows discussion at apple support. You need an apple id to login but its the same registration process as this site and sometimes apple engineers will guide you through how to fix stuff, or you can search that site and find the solution from someone else who had the same problem.

here is a link to apple itunes support, good luck.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

iTunes is associated/packaged with QuickTime. I thought it was associated with RealPlayer

What you can do is download the QuickTime Alternative, and install it.... then afterwards, try to uninstall QuickTime again.

But it sounds like you could have corrupted QuickTime files. If that's the case, just goto QuickTime web site, download it, and install it over what you already have. It may fix the problem.

Post back the results

Edited by Walkman, 07 March 2007 - 02:46 PM.

#4 technophobic

technophobic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

I seem to have fixed the problem (at least temporarily). I downloaded QuickTime alternative, still had the problem, downloaded delete doctor and deleted all the Quicktime files in system32 and everything seems to be working now.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users