Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Media File Should I Use?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KNDV46

KNDV46

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

OK, I'm confused. I have some dvd-r disks containing home movies that I want to put on my cpu for the purpose of making a single, edited disk. I used Nero recode to convert the files to mpeg-4, burned it to disk, and it didn't work. Then I converted the files to mpeg using the Any Video Converter program, which works fine on two computers, but won't play on a standard Toshiba dvd player/tv.

What format do you have to use to play a dvd in a standard dvd player connected to a tv? I want to send the finished disk to elderly relatives who aren't computer savvy, but have dvd players in their living rooms. Which media file is typically used? Any ideas why mpeg won't work on my tv?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

The problem may not be related to file format. As long as you are encoding in dvd-video format (mpeg2), there may be another reason why they won't play on some standalone dvd players.

1. Some (usually older) dvd players just won't play any DVD discs other than commercially made ones (the disc recording technology is completely different). This is most likely to apply to dvd players which are older than the home dvd-recording technology we now take for granted.

OR

2. Some dvd recorders will play home-made movie discs, but only if they are the DVD+R type. While some others will only play the DVD-R type. Some can play both, but I think DVD+R is probably compatible with more players compared to DVD-R.

Edited by pip22, 04 March 2007 - 05:40 PM.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

Hi KNDV46, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:
For a standard DVD player connected to a television, use the standard dvd file structure. (vob, ifo, bup) that all retail dvd's use. Since you have Nero installed, use NeroVision, which will do the conversion for you.

#4 KNDV46

KNDV46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

Thanks guys.

The Toshiba machine I mentioned will play dvd-r disks, so that's not an issue. Are there any pros/cons to the file structures you mentioned, HitSquad (vob, ifo, bup), and what other structures are used in retail dvd's, if any?

Great website, btw. :thumbsup:

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:03 AM

That's it KNDV46.
Any movie on dvd you buy or rent uses that file structure. It will play on any dvd player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users