Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express/windows Me Update?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lil Rose

Lil Rose

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

Help! I can't open my outlook express. I get an error message:
C:\Program Files\outlook express refers to a location that is unavailable...ext...ect.

Also, I am getting this when I click on windows update:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only.
To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

I searched the internet about Outlook Express & had run across someone with the same problem. In their post they had explained that they could not go to the update page either because the update thought it was a mac. That's why I tried the update page. No one had answered that persons post though.

I have windows me computer with IE 6.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

Though ME's System Restore has often proved to be unreliable inasmuch that it may tell you it can't perform the task, I'm afraid that's all I can suggest. It has to be worth a try though, since it won't make things any worse and you may get lucky.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

This might be interest to you, also:
Windows 95 or 98, older versions of Outlook

Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 95 or 98 in any fashion, including the DST 2007 change. You can manually change your system clock to accommodate the time change, but there is no fix for Outlook from these older systems.

Right click the time on your task bar. Click on adjust date/time, click on the "time zone" tab, and make sure the box is unchecked that says, "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes." Then, adjust your clock as needed.

Edited by buddy215, 04 March 2007 - 11:54 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Lil Rose

Lil Rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

No, I already tried system restore & it did'nt work. The time change did'nt work either. I don't have a mac. I've had my computer since 2000? 2001? Bought it new.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

You have several options.
1. If you have your original restore disks, you can most likely use those to restore OE.
2. You can remove OE (add/remove programs) and then download it again and reinstall it.
3. You can install Mozilla's Thunderbird and use it instead of OE.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

What happens if you click Start then Run & type MSIMN in the run box?
If that works then you have a bad shortcut.

If not you could try to repair Internet Explorer (Outlook Express is an integrated component). Control Panel - Add Remove Programs - Select Internet Explorer - click Add Remove - select Repair

If still no go, reinstalling Internet Explorer with SP1 should fix it but you might loose your email and address book.
Download from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/do...p1/default.mspx
Its big, broadband connection recommended. CD's are no longer available
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:21 PM

If not you could try to repair Internet Explorer (Outlook Express is an integrated component). Control Panel - Add Remove Programs - Select Internet Explorer - click Add Remove - select Repair

If still no go, reinstalling Internet Explorer with SP1 should fix it but you might loose your email and address book.
Download from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/do...p1/default.mspx
Its big, broadband connection recommended. CD's are no longer available

No you don't loose your address book or emails doing a Repair.

I'm using dialup and it takes 1 hour to download and install IE6.0 SP1. It downloads to a temp folder so I burnt this folder to a CD. When I've used it since it asks for a internet connection just to check a file then it installs no problem. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 Lil Rose

Lil Rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:09 PM

Just so everyone knows, I could not fix my outlook express. So I downloaded Mozilla firefox & thunderbird email. I was then able to get all my emails that were saved & address book moved to thunderbird. I have no idea why that worked but it did. Good bye outlook express! I won't miss you because thunderbird is sooo much better! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users