Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 annab.

annab.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:07 AM

I have been trying to fix my dang computer. I had no choice but to do a system restore. The directions that I had for a restore didn't go into great detail. When I did the restore it went back to a date in 04 when the computer was bought. All fine and dandy until it it restarted and popped up with it's usual ctrl+alt+del then put in the administrator password. Well I guess it went all the way back to 04 becuause I am sure that the password has changed. And well it won't let me log onto windows. I know that it is against the rules to try to get information about getting around passwords. That's not what I need to know. I just need to know what exactly may have happened and if there is any possible way to fix this or be able to use the password that I have been using. Or who to contact for help? Please can someone explain to me what happened or just help me period???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Well, the directions for doing a system restore don't need to "go into great detail" as it's a fairly simple procedure.

I doubt you've turned it back to 2004 though. The restore points wouldn't go back that far unless you haven't used the PC for 5 years! They get deleted and replaced automatically on a regular basis to keep within the allocated disk space.

If you have a set of restore discs, try using those to put the computer back the way it was when new, then Windows should start normally. You'll have to create an account for yourself after that. You will also lose everything that you saved in "My Documents", and you'll have to re-install any software that you added after buying the PC.

Edited by pip22, 04 March 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

Are you sure you did a restore or recovery with the disk that came with the computer? If you used the recovey disk supplied with the computer then there would be no password. Just leave it blank and press Enter. You will also need to reinstall drivers, programs and updates plus update your anti-virus program.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users