Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pen Drive Undetected

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jbmoisin

jbmoisin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

A friend of mine has this problem with her pen drive. It seems like her pen drive is now undetectable. She tried with many computers, but it still didn't work. I tried google for it, but there's no explaination about undetectable pen drive. All i could fin is how to recover files from it.

Tbh, i think her pen drive is bleeped up. But who knows, maybe you people has other idea.

So, any idea?
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you, ibmoisin, though it's unusual for flash memory to "die" unless it's poor quality and the thumb drive is some obscure make. Having already tried it on several PCs there's not much else to be done.

My sympathy if anything really important was on it. I just want to suggest your friend buys a good quality replacement such as Verbatim or a Lexar.

#3 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, i guess so. Thanks for the reply anyway.
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

Can winodows even see it? If it can, you can try to reformat the drive (it will delete everything that's on the card) in hopes that it will help to fix it. Was there any installation software that came with it?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

Can winodows even see it? If it can, you can try to reformat the drive (it will delete everything that's on the card) in hopes that it will help to fix it. Was there any installation software that came with it?

No, it's not detected at all. And i don't think it came with a software.
Posted Image

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:29 PM

Do you know what computers she has tried it in? WinME/2k/XP don't need drivers but Win98 does. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

Some shady flash drive makes actually use ROM chips, these chips die after only a few read/write sessions. How long has she had the drive? If it's reletively new, have her return it to the store for a refund.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

What about to reboot when it is still connected?

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

No, it's not detected at all. And i don't think it came with a software.

Try to find out if it came with software. Some (very few) drives are "secure", meaning that you need software to be able to read/write from/to it. I've only run into this once though, but I couldn't do anything with the drive because I didn't have the software.

If all else fails (as it seems to have) I'd follow Amazing Andrew's advice and return it for a refund (not an exchange if possible).
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users